Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Fri July 24th, 2009, 1:11 am

Not really shopping, but I did request & get Tasha Alexander's next historical mystery via Amazon Vine today. It should arrive next week...

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Fri July 24th, 2009, 11:14 am

Oh, you lucky thing!

In the last few days I received 84 Charing Cross by Helene Hanff, The Palace Circle by Rebecca Dean and Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. I have another package that I need to pick up from my sister's place hopefully tomorrow, but I am not 100% sure what is going to be in it.

I also picked up Tears of the Moon by Nora Roberts, Honolulu by Alan Brennert Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin and Royal Harlot by Susan Holloway Scott.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Fri July 24th, 2009, 1:37 pm

I returned home from holiday this morning. I bought at the airport:

The Children's Book by A S Byatt
Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant
The Best of Times by Penny Vincenzi
The Fraud by Barbara Ewing

I came home to:

Miss Silver Comes to Stay by Patricia Wentworth (via a swap site)
Crossroads by Belva Plain
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Sheramy
Reader

Postby Sheramy » Fri July 24th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I TRIED not to order any books for a while, until I finish what I have. I TRIED.

It didn't work. Ordered from amazon: Sarah Dunant's Sacred Hearts, and a novel called The Belly Dancer by Deanna Cameron, about the late 19th c Chicago Worlds Fair and well, belly dancers.
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri July 24th, 2009, 3:10 pm

against my better judgement I ordered Blue Sword and Beauty: retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley, I stumbled across them on my reccommendations at amazon. I'm not a fairy tale sort but I read the first 5 or 6 pages online and thought it sounded refreshing.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Sat July 25th, 2009, 6:20 pm

A random thought....While perusing Amazon books today I came across a HF novel based on the cult film "The Wicker Man"....I find it odd that the a book is written based on the original film...I always thought it was vice versa?...."The Wicker Man" 2006 by Kevin Hardy and Anthony Shaffer......BTW I was looking for HF novels about the legendary "Green Man"?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sat July 25th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Sometimes the popularity of a movie will inspire someone to write a book based on the movie as a way of cashing in. For example, Frank Thompson wrote (an awful) novel called "King Arthur" to go with the Clive Owen/ Keira Knightly movie of the same name. (I think FT might have written the original screenplay). It's certainly happened before- I recall that someone wrote a book based on the Charlton Heston movie, "El Cid" many years ago.
Sometimes books get changed to go with a movie as well- I'm thinking of Swarup's novel "Q&A" which has been reissued with the title "Slumdog Millionaire" to cash on on the success of the movie.

*Edit- Kingsley Amis wrote a novel called "The Green Man".
Last edited by annis on Sat July 25th, 2009, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat July 25th, 2009, 10:50 pm

I picked up Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris, The Princeling by Cynthia Harrod Eagles that I had requested from the library today. I also picked up Annette Vallon by James Tipton on impulse.

Then I got the package I had been expecting which had Twilight of a Queen by Susan Carroll in it!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Sun July 26th, 2009, 4:07 am

I bought The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James today. Last week, I bought the reprint of Norah Lofts' Here Was a Man (Sir Walter Raleigh).

I think I'll take both to the beach tomorrow--my main criteria for beach reading is that I choose a book I won't mind getting a little sandy!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Postby zsigandr » Sun July 26th, 2009, 12:19 pm

I picked up Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and Domino for bargain prices at a used book store yesterday. Diana is going to be at the local Scottish Festival in August, so I thought it was high time to start this series!

Return to “Archives”