Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu July 16th, 2009, 4:51 pm

The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Thu July 16th, 2009, 6:29 pm

"Chatterbox" wrote:!

I'm just ordering four books from Amazon France, which has a treasure trove of un-translated great HF.

Ooh, I envy your ability to read French; I looked up some of those titles and The Cortes des Dames looks like a superb series. I wish we had more of European hf translated. They're publishing some amazing stuff in France, Spain, Germany and Italy, on subject matter almost never covered here.

I was just on Casa del Libro and bought a few books in Spanish, including one called "La Valida" about a woman in 12th century Castile; it's a gorgeous book, too, case-bound, with end-paper maps. If amazon had a Spanish-language site as it does for French, I'd be doomed. As it is, I can only afford to buy a few books a year from Spain, as they'll only ship via DHL, which, as you can imagine, is outrageously expensive.

But I'm going to Spain in September for two weeks and you can bet I'm shipping back as many books as I can. :D
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Fri July 17th, 2009, 9:34 am

Chatterbox wrote:I'm just ordering four books from Amazon France, which has a treasure trove of un-translated great HF.

I occasionally order from them - but I do find it annoying that it is so expensive to buy non-English books here. Customers across the EU can buy UK-published books online for the same price we pay here with free delivery - but it doesn't work vice versa. There are no sites outside the UK offering free delivery of books to the UK - and the shipping is ridiculous. And the few bookstores in London that stock a few French and Spanish books, for example, have crazy markups on them....

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sat July 18th, 2009, 7:58 pm

I was very naughty and ordered two more books even though I have a large gift certificate order on the way. I kept seeing references to Sarah Dunant's Sacred Heart and decided I would probably really like it. I also ordered her Birth of Venus. I also ordered teacher guides for Diary of a Young Girl and A Wrinkle in Time. My school district changed the curriculum and these are new books I will be teaching during the upcoming school year. I need to start doing some school work, although I'd much rather read novels!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Sat July 18th, 2009, 8:14 pm

I caved a pre-ordered Sophie Kinsella's new book, Twenties Girl. She usually write chick lit, but I think this one has a bit of an historical spin on it.

Laura
Reader

Postby Laura » Mon July 20th, 2009, 10:15 am

Chatterbox, I just finished to read La regente Noire and I am looking forward to read the following books. I also read Fortune de France, tome 1 by Robert Merle, La Saga des Médicis, Tome 1 : Contessina by Sarah Frydman. It seems that the books by Juliette Benzoni are aso great. All of them are available at Fnac, I am not sure about Amazon.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon July 20th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Just ordered Silent on the Moor.
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Mon July 20th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Laura, you can order all these from Amazon.fr -- does Fnac ship to the US?? I confess, I hadn't even thought of them...

I ordered Contessina as well... Benzoni is OK, but she writes more romance than HF. The author I used to love is Jeanne Bourin, who wrote (writes?) a lot set in medieval/early Renaissance France and Italy.

Also just ordered a stack of books about the 15th century for my own HF project. Found a copy of a history of medieval warfare, focusing on the English armies during the 100 years war & the war of the roses, which will be invaluable.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Mon July 20th, 2009, 5:07 pm

"sweetpotatoboy" wrote:Customers across the EU can buy UK-published books online for the same price we pay here with free delivery - but it doesn't work vice versa. There are no sites outside the UK offering free delivery of books to the UK - and the shipping is ridiculous.

Now you know why I gripe constantly about paying seven quid per book to order from Amazon.co.uk! That turns a book into a $35 to $40 purchase, so I have to really want it. And I'm finding book depository to be very, very unreliable. (the tradeoff for free shipping, it seems, is unbelievably slow delivery, random unilateral cancellations of my orders, and no refunds if an item vanishes in transit....)

CW -- La valida sounds fabulous... That is a period that fascinates me. I can read a newspaper in Spanish (oddly enough, since I've never studied it), but don't think I could tackle a book. I'm reasonably good with languages, though. German is the one I can muddle through in conversation, but find reading v.v. difficult. Even Russian is easier.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon July 20th, 2009, 5:47 pm

Just picked up at the library,

1. King's Fool M.C. Barnes
  2. The French Mistress Susan Holloway Scott
  3. Leaden Skies Ann Parker (third in a series of historical mysteries set in Leadville, Colorado
  4. Sacred Hearts Sarah Dunant
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Archives”