Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Tudors chat

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue May 19th, 2009, 11:20 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:She is, different actress. Last season she was played by Anita Briem, this season Annabelle Wallis, not sure why they changed the actress.
SM

Oh, gosh. I never even noticed! Go, figure. Well, Ms Wallis is certainly beautiful.

I agree, I think Joss Stone did a great job. Though the series often veers from fact (though it stayed pretty close to history toward the end of seasonn 2), I have to admit I enjoy it. The costuming and ambiance are gorgeous, and the Duke of Suffolk ain't bad, either. ;)

I could use less histrionic acting from Rhys Meyers but, hey, playing Henry VIII would tend to push you over the top.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Suzanne Crowley
Scribbler

Postby Suzanne Crowley » Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Yes, the costuming and scenery are gorgeous. I spend half the time looking over the characters shoulders at the background. I wonder, did they really have that much fabric everywhere? Curtains in doorways, walls, lots of tapestries, rugs, lots more sumptous than I thought was true. Every scene in The Tudors looks like an old master painting and that's why I enjoy it so much! Just like the movie, Girl With a Pearl Earing - you just watch because it is so beautiful. So gorgeous. And yes they veer off history a lot, but other things, they get exceedingly correct. A scene will come up, and a quote will come to my mind of what really happened, and then wallah - the character says the actual line. And yes, Jonathan Rhys Meyers is over dramatic but so fun to watch! I guess much funner than what Henry really looked like (although when he was young he really was handsome it is said). My husband even watches with me and says many of the men at his work watch too, he was surprsied, they were talking about it at lunch.
And C.W., I have bought your book and have it in my TBR pile. The cover is so pretty!
Does anyone think Henry really said Anne looked like a "flanders mare?" I tend to think so, it sounds like him.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Thu May 21st, 2009, 5:49 pm

"Suzanne Crowley" wrote:Does anyone think Henry really said Anne looked like a "flanders mare?"

No, there's no evidence that he did.

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Sun May 24th, 2009, 1:01 pm

I have just got into this show, having found the first series a while ago on Fox Showtime. I record them and watch when I am alone in the evening. I have just started series 2.

So far I am enjoying it! It might take a couple of weeks to watch one episode or I might get to watch 2 in one night!

I love the costumes! I am finding the acting absolutely superb, I only wish I had watched it before!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Mon May 25th, 2009, 2:59 pm

Anyone see the last episode of series 3 last night? I thought Cromwell's end was very moving, but the portrayal of Katherine Howard seemed really over the top. Surely one reason she got her head chopped off was because Henry had thought he was getting an innocent young girl as his wife, and her behavior with Harry in this episode was anything but innocent!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Mon May 25th, 2009, 6:25 pm

I agree with you on both counts. Her behavior (and their behavior together) is certainly going to make the later claims against her and Henry's reactions to them seem rather absurd - especially since he had no other reason to want to be ride of her. I wonder what the writers were thinking. :confused:

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon May 25th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Remember these are the same writers who decided Henry would not be a fat obese stinky man, that did away with one of his sisters, not to mention the Grey family line and Mary Queen of Scots (unless they find a interesting way to include them), and other historically inaccurate things.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Mon May 25th, 2009, 10:06 pm

I just watched the last episode last night.

I agree about Katherine being quite over the top. She seemed very ditzy, giggly, and also looked just vacant at times.

I thought Joss Stone was great as Anna of Cleves, and her part was well written too.

And the death of Cromwell! That was quite disturbing! When he knelt to the block and realised the state of the executioner...that was chilling.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue May 26th, 2009, 7:35 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Remember these are the same writers who decided Henry would not be a fat obese stinky man, that did away with one of his sisters, not to mention the Grey family line and Mary Queen of Scots (unless they find a interesting way to include them), and other historically inaccurate things.

SM

It has been said over here that when Henry was young, he was very handsome, athletic etc; obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but generally some experts say that Henry didn't always look like the famous Holbein portrait which is the pic that most people are familiar with; in his day he was quite a hunk (and being the king helped of course). Although I must admit that I thought it was a joke when I read that JRM was playing him.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue May 26th, 2009, 7:37 pm

That is true, but I meant in his older age, but the time he married Jane he was already quite big and stinking and one of the reasons Katherine Howard most likely cheated was because of how Henry looked and behaved. JRM is still looking quite hot as Henry despite the stinky wound on his leg.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”