Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Tudors chat

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Postby LoobyG » Mon February 28th, 2011, 11:20 am

And grey tinged hair :rolleyes: Charles Brandon looked very well too saying he was about 60 when he died! I thought the way they did the execution sequences in the series was one of its strongest points, Anne Boleyn's was terribly sad.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Mon February 28th, 2011, 4:13 pm

I finally gave in to Tudormania recently. I resisted for years because I felt the Tudor era has been done to death (and I went through my Tudor phase a couple of decades before and had moved on in my interests.) But through the wonders of streaming Netflix and our first wide-screen TV, I got hooked. Definitely an over-the-top guilty pleasure. My memory of events was hazy enough that only the most blatant inaccuracies jumped out at me. And I did pause the show to look up "the sweating sickness"--very mysterious! Finished the first two seasons and now have to wait for the disks for season three.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue March 1st, 2011, 2:10 pm

Finished the first two episodes. Not history, but certainly fun to watch.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri March 4th, 2011, 3:14 am

Ok, I know it's only entertainment, but Princess Margaret? Are you kidding me? The King of Portugal? This is sooooo wrong!

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Postby Jemidar » Sat March 5th, 2011, 10:49 am

Oh yeah, wasn't that awful. It bugged the hell out of me too. Don't you just love it when the powers that be assume you're too stupid to keep track of more than one character called Mary?

To me the worst thing about Margaret/Mary though wasn't all the historical inaccuracies that she encompassed, but her very obvious and anachronistic breast implants :eek: .
Jenny
[SIZE=2]
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
[/SIZE]
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Currently Reading:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat March 5th, 2011, 2:56 pm

And the fact that her dresses were different in style from everyone else's at court. She was working that naughty, off the shoulder look at first. I can't quite place the style but I'm thinking Italian and possibly from another century.

I could have forgiven the Portugal thing, and even how she got out of it, if only they'd used the right princess. Margaret was married to the King of Scotland (Malcolm, I think?) before her brother Henry even took the throne. I suppose instead they made Mary "Queen of Scots." ;)

I have to keep watching now to see what else they messed up. Plus the costumes are pretty.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Sat March 5th, 2011, 4:00 pm

As I recall, they also had Mary/Margaret die without having had any children by Charles Brandon, which would have put the writers in an awkward position had they continued the series past the death of Henry VIII. Hard to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne if you've written her mother out of existence . . .
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon March 14th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Margaret has died of consumption. Leaving the rest of the storyline aside, I thought it was interesting that Henry get upset because Brandon never told him that she was sick. I didn't get the impression that Brandon knew she was sick.

They're doing some nice set up with Thomas More.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue March 15th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Ok I've finished the first season. Must say I'm impressed with Sam Neill's Wolsey. I think he did a fantastic job with the role. Nice little side-step they did around history without completely blowing it on his death. Though I seem to recall that Anne was already queen when he died in reality. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I am hooked now. Must get season two.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Wed March 16th, 2011, 12:14 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:Ok I've finished the first season. Must say I'm impressed with Sam Neill's Wolsey. I think he did a fantastic job with the role. Nice little side-step they did around history without completely blowing it on his death. Though I seem to recall that Anne was already queen when he died in reality. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I am hooked now. Must get season two.

He died in an Augustinian monastery in real life.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”