Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Tudors chat

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun January 10th, 2010, 11:13 pm

I really enjoyed the HBO series Rome, the scenes and so forth were great but Showtimes Tudors fell very short with me. I only watched one or two episodes if that, too mush sex and BS for my taste.

Starz has a new show Sparticus:Blood and Glory starting on Jan 22 I'll try it and see what it is like. Seems to me a mix of Rome and Gladiator but I like the era so I'll give it a go.

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Postby Jemidar » Sun March 7th, 2010, 3:44 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:There is a Tudors sponsored quizhere

I ended up being a Peasant, and lucky to be alive apparently!

Just catching up with this thread now, and I turned out to be a Tudor prostitute :eek: .

Apparently this series has been shown on Foxtel here in Australia, but as I don't have Foxtel I'm now just catching up with the DVDs. I'm about three episodes into Season Two.

Season One grated a bit, JRM as Henry took some getting used to, as did all the inaccuracies and anachronisms (especially Mary/Margaret's obvious boob job...lol) but Season Two looks to be shaping up better. I think Natalie Dormer is a good Anne and humanizes her somewhat. And I'm definitely enjoying the eye candy :-) .

Although I think it really should've been called The Tudors: The Soap Opera, it's good fun.
And definitely a guilty secret!

Last edited by Jemidar on Sun March 7th, 2010, 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jenny
[SIZE=2]
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
[/SIZE]
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Currently Reading:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Mon March 8th, 2010, 6:18 am

ok so I'm playing catch since I have not watched but a few from the first season. I guess I'm at the end of season 2 now with Anne being beheaded. I must say I wish I had watched this when it came out. I like the 2 season more...politics, drama, intrigue abounds and less sex, more story. Anyhow I must say I actually feel pity for Anne, this show or maybe just good casting in my opinion has brought to life the times, though harsh, and trials of life, literally in Anne's case, to light. Cannot wait to watch the rest...thank goodness for DVR!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon March 8th, 2010, 6:46 am

I saw a trailer for it tonight on TV and thought it looked good, though it mainly showed Katherine Howard and nothing that I could say was of Parr.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Postby Jemidar » Mon March 8th, 2010, 11:27 am

You can find YouTube videos for Season 4 here:-

[COLOR=Magenta]http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/behind-the-scenes-of-the-tudors-season-4/4753/

and

http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/official-tudors-season-4-trailer/4749/

Jolie Richardson is playing Katherine Parr. Must say it looks good but we probably won't see it here anytime soon :( .
[/COLOR]
Last edited by Jemidar on Mon March 8th, 2010, 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jenny
[SIZE=2]
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
[/SIZE]
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Currently Reading:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon March 8th, 2010, 12:38 pm

Oh yes, definitely to be filed under guilty pleasure!
Currently reading "The Dark Angel" by Elly Griffiths

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon March 8th, 2010, 6:38 pm

"Jemidar" wrote:
Jolie Richardson is playing Katherine Parr. Must say it looks good but we probably won't see it here anytime soon :( .

Ok I did see a glimpse of her, I got distracted when she was on.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue March 9th, 2010, 3:43 am

my eyes watered at Anne's death....I couldn't help it even though I wanted to hate her I just couldn't.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue March 9th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Have you got to Jane Seymour's death yet, nona?
Currently reading "The Dark Angel" by Elly Griffiths

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue March 9th, 2010, 2:51 pm

not yet, I'm as far as Anne B death. I haven't had time to watch anymore and probably wont till next week or so.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”