Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The backlash contiunes for The Jewel of Medina

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 6:13 pm

I didn't know the author was from my state....

Canceled Muhammad novel finds new publisher
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008155538_webnovel03m.html?syndication=rss

Hope it gets published this time.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

TerriPray
Reader

Postby TerriPray » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 6:48 pm

From what a friend, who has been in the trade some 30+ years, said the book was withdrawn by RH on the basis of insurance. IE, they couldn't get insurance to cover potentially violent reactions due to the book.

I'm not sure if he mentioned it as speculation, or information he'd had passed onto him. So take this as a 'might be the reason' behind the book being released from the contract by RH, rather than gospel.

Terri
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Postby Catherine Delors » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 7:02 pm

Sarah, at Reading the Past, said it had already been picked up by publishers in Denmark, Spain and Brazil. Good for Sherry Jones, and hopefully she will benefit from the huge buzz generated by this story.
Last edited by Catherine Delors on Wed September 3rd, 2008, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 7:48 pm

I'm so glad this has found another publisher. It's appalling that Random House would withdraw it because one non-Muslim American objected. I don't care if they couldn't find an insurer. If the author had the courage to write this novel, publishers should have the courage to publish it. I hope both the author and her new publisher make a bunch of money!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 7:53 pm

I see it's also found a publisher in Britain, Australia, and New Zealand. A British independent press called Gibson Square that has apparently published many other controversial novels.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:08 pm

I'm so glad this book is being published. The fact that it was withdrawn upsets met. Considering the fact that the person who threw the most stink about it also has he rown book coming out. And the fact that another publisher is publishing a book like this one.

The mroe I think about it the less I think its angry muslims RH needed to worry about but a sad little professor who didnt want her spolight stolen.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Postby Catherine Delors » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 10:21 pm

Absolutely, Divia! All started with that professor who, while painting to the publisher an apocalyptic picture of the Muslim response she anticipated, called one of her own Muslim students to fan the flames. She told him is was inflammatory material, to warn everyone on his listserv, etc...
Actually at least one Muslim site, IslamOnLine, took a reasonable approach: the reviewer there didn't like the book, or think it was appropriate or accurate, but she didn't think it was a reason to oppose its publication.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Thu September 4th, 2008, 6:02 pm

I hear the new U.S. publisher is going to be announced on Monday. With all this buzz over the controversy, the author is certainly making lemonade out of lemons!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu September 4th, 2008, 6:49 pm

I'm curious to hear who the US publisher will be, considering the author has said it will be in bookstores in mid-October. That is FAST. I'm guessing it'll be a small press or indie with some muscle behind it, as is the case with the UK.

If this goes through, the Langum Trust will, presumably, stop blacklisting Random House, so relevant 2008 novels can be considered after all. So no permanent harm done to the authors' chances, and in the meanwhile, the Trust will have gotten itself some major free publicity.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:17 pm

I just noticed that Random House let her keep the $100K advance they already paid, even though they cancelled the contract and won't get a penny back. Now I'm not feeling quite so sorry for the lady --

And she'll probably make buckets on a controversial novel that has immediately gone into foreign distribution. Hmm, not a bad strategy.

Return to “General Discussion”