Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holy Crap! Sarah Palin to be McCain's VP pick

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Fri September 5th, 2008, 6:26 pm

The details are murky about Palin and the then-City Librarian. It's generating a buzz in Libraryland. "Library Journal" has a few articles: http://www.libraryjournal.com/blog/1010000101.html

"Time" magazine and NYT have published articles too.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri September 5th, 2008, 9:40 pm

I can't wait for the VP debates....they should be very interesting.......

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri September 5th, 2008, 9:55 pm

I agree.

And I wish we knew more about the book banning...
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Sun September 7th, 2008, 5:04 pm

"princess garnet" wrote:The details are murky about Palin and the then-City Librarian. It's generating a buzz in Libraryland. "Library Journal" has a few articles: http://www.libraryjournal.com/blog/1010000101.html

"Time" magazine and NYT have published articles too.

Google...."A Letter From Anne Kilkerney" ....very interesting......

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Sun September 7th, 2008, 6:14 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:Have to say I'm with Divia on a few points. 1) no one would be telling Mr. Palin he should stay home with his family; 2) just more of the same from both parties--spewing the same cookie-cutter lies.

This is NOT coming from the Democratic Party! That should be made clear right now. It is coming from the internet blog and chat rooms and, interestingly, it's mostly working mothers themselves sounding off...from both sides of the political isle. Checkout workingmother . com and you'll see!

What the Democrats ARE saying is that Governor Palin needs to make herself available to the public and begin to answer questions about her qualifications and the "experience" that she loves to tout. The Response from the McCain camp is to claim that the sexist media and Democrats are out to get her. The same sexist media that didn't exist when Hillary Clinton was "whining" about the real sexism that she was subjected to during her campaign. Talk about hypocrisy!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun September 7th, 2008, 6:18 pm

"1lila1" wrote:This is NOT coming from the Democratic Party! That should be made clear right now. It is coming from the internet blog and chat rooms and, interestingly, it's mostly working mothers themselves sounding off...from both sides of the political isle.What the Democrats ARE saying is that Governor Palin needs to make herself available to the public and begin to answer questions about her qualifications and the "experience" that she loves to tout. The Response from the McCain camp is to claim that the sexist media and Democrats are out to get her. The same sexist media that didn't exist when Hillary Clinton was "whining" about the real sexism that she was subjected to during her campaign. Talk about hypocrisy!

Hear hear! (why do I have the sound of the English Parliment in my head when I type that....)

I want to write a letter to be sent to my newspaper as well as to the people in my address book re the truth about Palin (like MoveOn's 10 things you should know about McCain). Does anyone have a link that can give me a basic run down. I could probably write it out myself but if theres already one out there it would be nice.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sun September 7th, 2008, 10:23 pm

"Ash" wrote:Hear hear! (why do I have the sound of the English Parliment in my head when I type that....)

I want to write a letter to be sent to my newspaper as well as to the people in my address book re the truth about Palin (like MoveOn's 10 things you should know about McCain). Does anyone have a link that can give me a basic run down. I could probably write it out myself but if theres already one out there it would be nice.

Here's a couple of things that may be helpful. The second link is the letter from Anne Kilkerney that was previously mentioned.
http://pol.moveon.org/emails/palin_announcement.html?rc=homepage
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/kilkenny.asp
Last edited by Susan on Sun September 7th, 2008, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Sun September 7th, 2008, 11:41 pm

I love this quote from McCain's campaign manager:

"Why would we want to throw Sarah Palin into a cycle of piranhas called the news media that have nothing better to ask questions about than her personal life and her children?" Davis said. "So until at which point in time we feel like the news media is going to treat her with some level of respect and deference, I think it would be foolhardy to put her out into that kind of environment."
The woman is running for vice president of the United States, for God's sake! If she's too delicate a flower to answer media questions (and the ones I've seen people wanting answers to are not about her children, but about her ethics, her actions as mayor and as governor, and her experience), she has no business in national politics. Why are McCain's people so terrified of having her face the sort of questions other candidates have answered?

She has at last agreed to an interview with ABC news. It'll be interesting to see how she holds up.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon September 8th, 2008, 5:30 pm

I didn't say the Democratic party was spewing lies about Palin. Those were two seperate points, Lila.

Palin can handle the media, what is with political handlers with no taste for adventure? Let's take them all away and see what happens. For once the VP debate might be worth watching. Seems like we've got two people who are honest enough to have mouth trouble.

I wrote off MoveOn.org quite a while ago, though not for the reasons you'd think.

My husband thinks Sarah Palin is a Republican version of Hilary. He may be right.

I will check out that link on the library/book banning thing. Personally I think book banning is as stupid as flag burning.

Curious (and this may be its own debate)...is there such a thing in America, or in politics, as having an open mind? We all think we do, but do we really? Even many people in the middle lean one way or another.

And why is it that as soon as someone expresses a thought that seems to be on one side or the other, everyone asigns a label of conservative/liberal or Democrat/Republican to them?

Can't people have their own beliefs without being classed that way? Has it never occurred to us that there are people who are conservative without being Republicans? Or maybe someone has liberal beliefs without having even heard what the Democratic party says? If people don't pay attention to either party, how can they be accused of towing the party line? How is that possible when they don't even know what the party line is? I know this happens--I've seen it. Anyone have any insight here?

I'm not losing my idealism, I'm not sure I ever had any, but it seems to me things have gotten a tad beyond ridiculous in this country. George Washington was way ahead of his time.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon September 8th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Wow! After reading letters with opposing viewpoints I'm no closer to anything! Seems people are either really pro-Sarah Palin or really anti-Sarah Palin. How can two versions be so far apart unless there's truth (and lies) in both?

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”