Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue April 6th, 2010, 11:29 pm

[quote=""nona""]well after almost a month and half out of work I got three offers today, as long as my background checks out and so forth then I start at the one I picked next week *crossing fingers* and it's more than I was making before so it sounds like things are looking up![/quote]

Great news!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue April 6th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Great news Nona, still crossing fingers for you!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed April 7th, 2010, 8:26 am

That's great news, Nona! Every cloud has a silver lining.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed April 7th, 2010, 8:34 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I was driving home today (from the bookstore, yay!) and found that one of my neighbors had a perfectly good chair out by their trash marked "Free." Being an unabashed scavenger (it's one of the many ways I embarrass my teenage daughter), I got my son to help me load it into the car. If hubby certifies that it's bedbug free, it'll be in the living room tomorrow!

Now if the next moving neighbor just leaves their couch behind . . .[/quote]

You remind me of my mother-in-law. She enjoys doing car boot sales and she is forever scavenging around my garage looking for stuff to sell! She would do exactly what you did, it wouldn't bother her in the slightest. I've given her some of my husband's or my clothes for her car boots in the past, and the next time I see her, she or my father-in-law are wearing it! LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Wed April 7th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Yay, nona! So happy for you. And BB, I am a TOTAL scavenger. Can't even count the number of furniture items I've found on the curb, including both the bookcases in my office. It's like a treasure hunt!

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Green

Post by chuck » Wed April 7th, 2010, 4:14 pm

[quote=""Anna Elliott""]Yay, nona! So happy for you. And BB, I am a TOTAL scavenger. Can't even count the number of furniture items I've found on the curb, including both the bookcases in my office. It's like a treasure hunt![/quote]

My spin on Curbside Treasures is.... It's Recycling/Green/Etc and it's just plain fun to find an item you can use....Bookshelves(real wood) is always a real find.....

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu April 8th, 2010, 4:14 pm

YIPPY! I start Monday and work a normal schedule, Monday thru Friday 8am to 5 pm with better pay then I expected!

my husbands first words at the good news: "So have you already thought about what book you'll buy with your first paycheck?"

lol, not a block away is a used bookstore (over 400,000 titles!!) so I know where I will spend my lunch hour at.

Thank you all for the good wishes and for putting up with my slightly over stressed worrisome nerves.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu April 8th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Congrats Nona, enjoy the job and have fun in your lunch hour!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu April 8th, 2010, 5:00 pm

SWEET...Knockem' out....

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu April 8th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Congratulations, Nona! Sounds like the whole experience is a keeper for your mental scrapbook: there's always a hard time before you get to the next better thing.

Return to “Chat”