Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon January 18th, 2010, 1:42 pm

I got some cool finds at an antique sale...but that was yesterday. :) Today I am off and get to lounge and be lazy. Sweet.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Mon January 18th, 2010, 2:09 pm

thats sounds nice, a day to be nothing but lazy *sigh*

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Postby Ken » Mon January 18th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Best thing today is that I received my copy of 'The Impact of the Edwardian Castles in Wales' - The proceedings of a conference held at Bangor University in September 2007, but just published. Absolutely first class papers presented by eminent historians and academics. A bit pricey at £25, but well worth it and a must for students of this period of Welsh/English history!

Contents Include:
1. Edward and Wales
2. From Llywelyn ap Gruffudd to Edward 1: Expansionist Rulers and Welsh Society
3. Gwynedd Before and After the Conquest
4. James of St George
5. The Life and Career of Richard the Engineer
6. Builth Castle and Aberystwyth Castle 1277-1307
7. The king’s Accommodation at his Castles
8. Food Supply and Preparation at the Edwardian Castles
9. The Landscapes of Edward’s New Towns, Their Planning and Design
10.The Building Stones of the Edwardian Castles
11.Twr Dewr Gwncwerwr Welsh Poetic response to the castles
12.The Castles of the Princes of Gwynedd
13.Caernarfon Castle and its Mythology
14.The Baronial Castles of the Welsh Conquest
15.Welshmen in the Armies of Edward 1

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Tue January 19th, 2010, 11:24 am

Saw Legally Blonde the Musical last night.
You may recall that my previous trip to see this show was cancelled due to my friend's work issues, but we had rebooked for last night - and it was fabulous! Completely camp and frivolous from start to finish, but done so well. Loved every second. Might take my niece to see it when she comes here in the summer.

Sheridan Smith, the lead, is an absolute star and stole the show. Supporting cast included the fabulous Jill Halfpenny, Duncan James, Peter Davidson, Aoife Mulholland, Alex Gaumond and Susan McFadden.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sun January 24th, 2010, 12:09 am

Finally joined Library Thing. Had much fun looking up and sorting my books. Should have joined a long time ago.

If anyone would like to visit my page... I am Archduchess_Soriena.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat January 30th, 2010, 5:04 am

The best thing today is that my husband still has a job, and after over a year of suspense, we can relax again.

Jay works for Sun Microsystems, which has been in the process of being bought by Oracle. It was understood that when the process was complete, there would be a wave of layoffs, about half the Sun employees.
Well, the acquisition dragged on, and on, and on, meanwhile Sun losing customers right and left and more and more layoffs coming down the pike, what with the SEC and the equivalent bureaucracy in the EU dragging their feet.
But it's finally done, and today he got the notice that his position is still needed. Whew!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun January 31st, 2010, 3:21 am

Must be a huge relief for you MLE. Glad it turned out ok.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Fractured Winter by Allison Bailliet
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sun January 31st, 2010, 10:50 am

Good news, MLE.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Postby Anna Elliott » Sun January 31st, 2010, 1:47 pm

So glad to hear that, MLE! What a relief.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)
[/COLOR]
User signature picture

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Mon February 1st, 2010, 6:26 am

Wow, MLE, that is GREAT news, especially in this job climate!

Me: reconnected with another HS friend today; had brunch while he was in NY and spent the day ambling through the city, checking out the High Line park, etc. It's the second old friend from my HS days in Belgium that I've not seen since we were teenagers that I've reconnected with in a single month, and in both cases, a delight to discover that each of them are people I would still choose as close friends today, decades later. Only there's something to be said for friends with whom you can say 'remember when'...

Return to “Chat”