Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Mon September 28th, 2009, 4:26 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:EC that's fascinating! I've been saying for years that too much exposure to electricity must be causing problems for people.

LoveHistory, the lecturer's website is fascinating. Just explore some of the headings! http://www.royriggs.co.uk/
I went to this conference with my friend Alison because we were lecturing on our energy work as it pertains to my writing. Alison is severely affected by electro-magnetic stress to the point where she cannot be in a room with a radio mike. Mobile phone masts affect her, cordless phones, wireless broadband systems, basically anything giving out digital pulses, so we found the lecture very interesting indeed - and a bit scary!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Mon September 28th, 2009, 4:44 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:EC that's fascinating! I've been saying for years that too much exposure to electricity must be causing problems for people.

I was worried about my brother working with electronic equipment all the time (he is a musician/composer) and bought him some kelp tablets because they are supposed to counteract radiation, but maybe this is only the uranium-type radiation and not electro-magnetic fields, so it may not be any use! Anyway I hope the kelp will do him some good.

At my last place of work the IT support guy was sitting in a room full of servers all day. I wouldn't want to do that.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon September 28th, 2009, 7:16 pm

I don't know if this is peculiar to the UK, but where I live there seems to be an almost constant hum in the atmosphere. It's particularly noticeable at night (I suppose partly because there's less traffic noise) and sometimes last year it was so loud it kept me awake at night! Other people have reported a similar hum, according to the papers, but no one seems to know what it is. It can still be very annoying but thankfully not as loud as it has been.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon September 28th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Early this decade there was this electronic hum that affected me very badly, it was like it was in my head. I even called the electric company to complain about it but they didn't seem to understand what I was saying. It was like it was driving me crazy. Thankfully it hasn't happened since.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Mon September 28th, 2009, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon September 28th, 2009, 8:00 pm

"EC2" wrote:Also learned loads of fascinating things about electro-magnetic stress (too much electricity and signals and waves in one's life) and what to do about it

Back to the muggle world now....

Maybe that's why I find the wilderness so refreshing. No roads, no phones, no computers, no wires, just me, the people with me, the animals and my books.

My best thing today is that, after a frustrating weekend trying to get the ink light to go off on my photo-printer so it would print, I got on tech support and Epson is sending me a new one!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Mon September 28th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Alison is severely affected by electro-magnetic stress to the point where she cannot be in a room with a radio mike. Mobile phone masts affect her, cordless phones, wireless broadband systems, basically anything giving out digital pulses,

How frightening. And where do you go in this day and age to escape it? I've been seeing stories like this more and more. Some people who have been interviewed call it an allergy. How does your friend try to control it?
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon September 28th, 2009, 11:06 pm

THis is my best thing for the last few days really. At short notice, I decided to go to Adelaide for a few days so my son could see his dad. Normally when I come over I see a couple of people, but this time I have gone out of my way to catch up with a whole heap of old friends and I have had a great time seeing them. Not sure why I was nervous about it really! Today I will be seeing more and then tomorrow heading home again!

I managed to catch up with Pat for coffee on Sunday afternoon. We had a good old chinwag!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Mon September 28th, 2009, 11:43 pm

"michellemoran" wrote:How frightening. And where do you go in this day and age to escape it? I've been seeing stories like this more and more. Some people who have been interviewed call it an allergy. How does your friend try to control it?

She has managed to desensitize herself re certain things. At one point she couldn't use a PC at all, but is okay with it now, but, like me, she uses the Homeplug system and not wireless internet. She can actually sense the problem when she walks into the room, so will ask if poss that the stuff be switched off. Hers tends to be worse in confined spaces. Open air does help to dissipate it, even if it's still swirling about, but it does cause ongoing damage to her health. :( It's probably ironic that she suffers from tinnitis caused by an induction hearing loop for the deaf which was installed at the college of FE where she used to work!
Hah, probably off thread now for the best thing today!!!
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Thu October 1st, 2009, 11:50 pm

Yesterday now cos it's past midnight, but my cousin and his wife have had their first child, a son, Harry James.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri October 2nd, 2009, 12:58 am

my principal backed me today over the new lib rules. YES! I am thrilled. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Chat”