Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Lauryn
Reader

Postby Lauryn » Thu August 6th, 2009, 3:09 am

"Chatterbox" wrote:Maybe I'm a contrarian economic indicator?

:D :D I think we need more of those - if only to truly confuse the talking heads that too many consumers follow without due consideration. FWIW, we recently learned that one of the freelance contractors in our office has quite a few balls in the air, and does better than several of our FT contractors have been. Nothing wrong with spreading your eggs over several baskets!
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun August 9th, 2009, 3:11 am

Jay & I went to a lovely wedding today, two young friends we got to know on a llama-packing trip. They were kids then. Hard to believe eight years flashed by.
Also hosting an old friend from Oxford, who came today. Fun to catch up, although Ben's broad Yorkshire accent frequently has me saying "come again?"

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun August 9th, 2009, 1:34 pm

we went riding four wheelers the other night with a friend and had an awesome time even though we got ourselves lost in the middle of the night, but thats an interesting story for another time maybe. Only down fall, I'm sore.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Fri August 14th, 2009, 8:43 pm

Amazon finally uploaded my book trailer onto their Cleopatra's Daughter page! It had nothing to do with my begging and pleading. Random House has an Amazon Rep they go to for these things (which would have been awesome to know six months ago, when the video was made!). Apparently, Amazon won't upload videos with links to other websites in them, so I had to have the director of the video take out the link to my website. They also aren't fans of having an on-sale date in the video, which makes sense, but I didn't have that changed and they still posted it.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Fri August 14th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Wow, Michelle, Amazon is starting to sound like a government regulator, with multi-page lists of rules & regs (8 point print, single spaced). Glad it finally got sorted! And you've got a great series of plugs there, too... Will the book be on Kindle?

I finished the first draft of chapter 8 of the Wall Street opus today; must wrap up the next (final) one by Labor Day.

And I have offloaded six of my paperbacks via paperback exchange, freeing up shelf space!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Fri August 14th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Wow, Michelle, Amazon is starting to sound like a government regulator, with multi-page lists of rules & regs (8 point print, single spaced).

Really, the hoops you have to jump through are outrageous.

Yes, the reviews are part of the blogger outreach I'm doing along with Crown! Not sure if the novel will be on Kindle. I should ask. I'm assuming so, since the previous two were.

And yay for progress on the Wall Street opus!
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Fri August 14th, 2009, 11:15 pm

It's funny, Michelle -- I downloaded the second one in the middle of the night at my hotel in Silicon Valley the very week that Wall Street imploded. I was sitting there panicking because I knew I was going to have to restructure my own opus and couldn't think. I turned to Kindle, and bang, there was the Heretic Queen, waiting for me!! Talk about a best thing... :D :D

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Fri August 14th, 2009, 11:45 pm

I knew I was going to have to restructure my own opus and couldn't think.

How terrible. How long did it take to rework? Were you happy with the changes?

Talk about a best thing...

Oh.... thank you!
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Lauryn
Reader

Postby Lauryn » Wed August 19th, 2009, 5:40 am

My best thing ... is that I'm finally adjusting to the hour-long commute that is part of the new job I started last month. The work itself is pretty interesting, and I'm enjoying being in the office a lot more than I expected, having worked from home for four months. But that commute - sigh - my music is my new best friend. :cool:
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Toymaker by Robert Dinsdale & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed August 19th, 2009, 11:36 am

Congrats on the job Lauryn, at least you might get some more reading done too on your commute. I used to have an hour each way, and I think that's what made me start buying so many books - I was paranoid I'd be left with nothing to read on a boring underground journey!
Currently reading "The Toymaker" by Robert Dinsdale & "Angel" by L J Ross

Return to “Chat”