Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Tue July 14th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Congrats, Lauryn!!!!

After a year of begging and pleading, Crown has finally changed the cover for The Heretic Queen (and no, it had nothing to do with my begging and pleading)!!!! I've posted it on my blog (in case it doesn't show up here), and I think it's a huge step up from the wing which looked like it had been drawn by a third grader! Plus, this says "paperback" far more than the wing did. I know there may be some people who preferred the wing, but for reasons I can't explain, I loathed it entirely.

Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue July 14th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Well done Lauryn! It's wonderful when you get something tailormade for you!

What a relief Michelle! These days (sadly) it is the covers that make and break books, so it's great you've got something more commercial.

My own best thing? Handed in To Defy a King 6 weeks ahead of schedule - yay!
Then again I have to dung out my study and do other admin tasks - perhaps not so yay!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Tue July 14th, 2009, 5:02 pm

6 weeks ahead of schedule?!!!!!!! I'm usually 6 weeks behind... A huge congrats! Now time for some celebratory rest and champagne ;]
Visit MichelleMoran.com

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Tue July 14th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Eye doctor says I don't have glaucoma! (But I do have my eyes dilated to the max with all the eyedrops they put in there, so I'm reacting like a vampire whenever I get into sunlight today.)
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Tue July 14th, 2009, 7:07 pm

"EC2" wrote:My own best thing? Handed in To Defy a King 6 weeks ahead of schedule - yay!

Congratulations! I can't wait to read it!

My best thing is that my daughter who lives in Seattle, Washington is coming home today for a three week visit!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue July 14th, 2009, 7:33 pm

"michellemoran" wrote:Congrats, Lauryn!!!!

After a year of begging and pleading, Crown has finally changed the cover for The Heretic Queen (and no, it had nothing to do with my begging and pleading)!!!! I've posted it on my blog (in case it doesn't show up here), and I think it's a huge step up from the wing which looked like it had been drawn by a third grader! Plus, this says "paperback" far more than the wing did. I know there may be some people who preferred the wing, but for reasons I can't explain, I loathed it entirely.

This cover is 1000xs better than the first. After Nefertiti I was let down with the art for Heretic Queen, though I didnt say as much(not that it matters what I say ;) ) Paperback is very eye catching. I REALLY like it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue July 14th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Congratulations, Michelle! Great cover, it hints at the story.
(I didn't like the other one either. Send your pub's art department to this thread.)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Tue July 14th, 2009, 8:34 pm

"michellemoran" wrote:Congrats, Lauryn!!!!

Very nice! I liked the wing, but it did make me think "Native American" instead of "Egypt."
Susan Higginbotham

Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Tue July 14th, 2009, 9:09 pm

I didn't mind the wing, but it didn't 'pop' in the way that this one does, and that's what you need on the PB shelves...

So, groovy!

And EC, that's fab about being ahead of schedule so much -- wow! Tips, please?

I am STILL waiting for Cleopatra's daughter... (which is not today's best thing...) It was mailed -- allegedly -- on the same day as a book I received last Wednesday. How can two books mailed on the same day...? the worst? Book Depository won't give me a refund or replacement if it never shows. Pah.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Tue July 14th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!! And Divia, thank you from refraining... :p Haha. You have no idea how much I loathed the previous cover. I spent a year trying to convince Crown to change it. Now that the change has been made, everyone there agrees it was the right decision.

And MLE: I will ;)

Chatterbox: how frustrating! I hate when that happens with novels I order. One novel from England went AWOL entirely. I think in that case the pubdate had been pushed back. Can't imagine what the excuse is here...

And BoswellBaxter: exactly!!!!!!! There's just no excuse not to have an Egyptian theme on an Egyptian novel when there are thousands of beautiful images to choose from!
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Return to “Chat”