Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 9:40 am

Terrific Telynor!
I so love the colour of grey cats. Hope they settle in with Mu.
When we brought Dottie home as a kitten, Jasper was an adult cat in young middle age and accepted her straight away, but she was gangsta-girl and still is. Her greeting to him is usually a hiss and a whap round the nose, while's he's trying to be all purry and affectionate. They're now 13 and 19 going on 20.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 11:01 am

Getting to spend a little time online tonight! It's not enough to catch up completely but hopefully it will only be a couple more days until I am back online. Please....I am going a bit mad without the internet at home!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 11:18 am

Went to a fun event yesterday evening held at Foyles.
It was a "Battle of the Monarchs", with four historians each arguing the case for an English monarch as the greatest.
Marc Morris (author of Great and Terrible King) argued for Edward I. Alison Weir spoke (rather surprisingly) for Richard III. Susan Ronald (author of Pirate Queen) was supporting Elizabeth I. And Alice Hogge (author of God's Secret Agents) argued for James I.

They all spoke well and entertainingly - especially Marc Morris and Alice Hogge. Alison Weir's tongue was firmly planted in her cheek throughout her talk and was open about having had to lump for Richard as Elizabeth had already been taken. She was incredibly amusing - but some very humourless members of the Richard III Society in the audience were most put out that someone who didn't really "believe in" Richard was speaking for him.

After the Q&A session, we held a vote and Edward I won.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Postby zsigandr » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 4:17 pm

That sounds like an amazing event sweetpotatoboy! It is very odd that Alison Weir did speak for Richard III as we all know she is definitely not a Ricardian!

I would love to have seen the debate and it is interesting to see that Edward I won.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 4:43 pm

"sweetpotatoboy" wrote:Went to a fun event yesterday evening held at Foyles.
It was a "Battle of the Monarchs", with four historians each arguing the case for an English monarch as the greatest.
Marc Morris (author of Great and Terrible King) argued for Edward I. Alison Weir spoke (rather surprisingly) for Richard III. Susan Ronald (author of Pirate Queen) was supporting Elizabeth I. And Alice Hogge (author of God's Secret Agents) argued for James I.

They all spoke well and entertainingly - especially Marc Morris and Alice Hogge. Alison Weir's tongue was firmly planted in her cheek throughout her talk and was open about having had to lump for Richard as Elizabeth had already been taken. She was incredibly amusing - but some very humourless members of the Richard III Society in the audience were most put out that someone who didn't really "believe in" Richard was speaking for him.

After the Q&A session, we held a vote and Edward I won.

That must have been fun! I have Marc Morris's book on Edward I; I really need to read it.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Thu June 4th, 2009, 10:45 pm

"EC2" wrote:Terrific Telynor!
I so love the colour of grey cats. Hope they settle in with Mu.
When we brought Dottie home as a kitten, Jasper was an adult cat in young middle age and accepted her straight away, but she was gangsta-girl and still is. Her greeting to him is usually a hiss and a whap round the nose, while's he's trying to be all purry and affectionate. They're now 13 and 19 going on 20.

Wow, I'm very impressed by the ages of your kitties -- I would have thought things have settled down by now. There are still pitched battles going on, but eventually they'll get the pecking order settled out. Sophie, the little girl, is super-affectionate, but is slowly learning to mellow out a bit. Phantom, as J is calling the little male, is still somewhere in the basement, but is eating.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Thu June 4th, 2009, 11:02 pm

I got a massage and I also got my job back at the high school. Thank the lord. Now its a uphill battle to change the mess that has been in place for a year. Spiffy.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Postby zsigandr » Thu June 4th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Congrats Divia! Glad to hear it has worked out for the best. I am sure that you will have the mess turned out around shortly!
Andrea

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Fri June 5th, 2009, 12:08 am

"Divia" wrote:I got a massage and I also got my job back at the high school. Thank the lord. Now its a uphill battle to change the mess that has been in place for a year. Spiffy.

Super news! I know that's what you were hoping for!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri June 5th, 2009, 12:42 am

Congrats, Divia! WHOO HOO!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Chat”