Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Postby Julianne Douglas » Sun May 31st, 2009, 3:22 pm

Awesome, Sarah! Congratulations to you both. We're trying to figure out where to find the money for our D's tuition. We were pretty set until the housing market here in CA crashed. Can't even imagine what our equity is now!
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Richard
Reader

Postby Richard » Sun May 31st, 2009, 5:02 pm

Got roped into playing trombone in church for Pentecost today. Had to play a verse I hadn't seen before, written in treble clef which I don't read... was able to sight-transpose it into bass-Bb (which I can't normally do), and nailed it!

Talking to the priest about it afterwards-- she thought it very appropriate that my trombone was "speaking in tongues" today.
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

User signature picture

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun May 31st, 2009, 5:47 pm

A few days ago Amazon emailed me saying that my order for "Royal Portraits in Hollywood: Filming the Lives of Queens" wasn't going to ship out til July now (even though it was supposed to be out in April). Well today I got an email that it has shipped and I'll get it early June!

Guess I'll find out if that's real or not!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Postby SarahWoodbury » Sun May 31st, 2009, 8:07 pm

"Julianne Douglas" wrote:Awesome, Sarah! Congratulations to you both. We're trying to figure out where to find the money for our D's tuition. We were pretty set until the housing market here in CA crashed. Can't even imagine what our equity is now!

Congratulations to you too (and to your daughter) because it is surely a joint effort. We qualify for a lot of financial aid(fortunately? unfortunately? it's hard to know, because if we didn't qualify we'd have a lot more money in the bank!) , but it is still a matter of taking 20 percent of my husband's take-home pay and handing it over every month.

I waffle between the surety that a college education is a definite must for her, and the feeling that the amount of money colleges are charging, even state schools (though Whitman is private), is obscene for a year for one child. Especially when we have 4. She does have enough credits from our community college to morph into a sophomore after freshman orientation is over, so she'll only go for three years, but still. One of those years she hopes to spend in the UK, so my husband and I are already planning that visit!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun May 31st, 2009, 11:53 pm

Went to the doctor's yesterday. Thankfully I have nothing major wrong just something that's been going around that likes to hang on :P She said to gargle warm salt water, take tylenol and Afrin. Despite being totally disgusting tasting the salt water has helped immensely!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon June 1st, 2009, 2:02 am

Singing with my sisters again. We don't exactly get back to four part harmony, but it was fun. We talked about memorable things from rehearsals past, like the dog who danced with us, and our favorite messed up lyrics. Ah, the good ol' days...

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Mon June 1st, 2009, 2:04 am

I put all of my books away on the shelves in the townhouse we moved to this weekend and I have lots of empty space! My husband said he guessed I would have to fill it up. :)

Lauryn
Reader

Postby Lauryn » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 4:55 am

"Tanzanite" wrote:I put all of my books away on the shelves in the townhouse we moved to this weekend and I have lots of empty space! My husband said he guessed I would have to fill it up. :)

Yay for understanding hubbies! Mine took me to the local big-box bookstore for my birthday, so I have some new NF to read!
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Postby SarahWoodbury » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 5:12 pm

Finally managed to hire an Executive Director for our Children's Museum. I'm the president of the Board and this is the 5th ED in 10 months! Admittedly, we did let the first one go, putting ourselves in this situation, but how hard could it be in a recession? The last one only worked 3 days before leaving for a higher paying job!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 4:34 am

We have not just one, but TWO new additions to our household! J went to the local shelter, and came home with two little catlings (He wanted to bring ALL of them home, but like Noah, I told him ONLY TWO). Needless to say, it's been a bit chaotic today. The little female, Sophie (that's what I call her, J calls her by the shelter name, Stacy) is adorable, is grey with white socks, belly and a bib, with big gold eyes, and is very mobile -- wants to see everything and do everything and be loved and held. Zinc, the little male, who is just like Sophie but without the white, is a bit more skittish and is hiding out in the basement at the moment, but once he gets hungry enough he will emerge. Mu the Terrible, our much older kitty, is seriously freaked and a bit traumatized, and I've been working at reassuring him that he is the top cat and numero uno in Mama's life. Poor guy, he's very upset... but will still let me pet and hold him.

Return to “Chat”