Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Thu March 26th, 2009, 3:50 am

"Amanda" wrote:We went to The World's Biggest Playgroup today. It is an annual event, with lots of playgroup activities, little stage shows and jumping castles, fun play equipment, pony rides, farm petting zoo etc.

Got home from picking up Luke from Preschool (he missed out on the playgroup) and bit of grocery shopping (not fun with a baby that had to be woken up to pick up his brother, and a preschool hyped up 3 year old), and there was a message on the phone.....I had won the major prize in the draw at playgroup! I won $1000 for our playgroup, and a Volvo for a long weekend. So now we will have to think up some suggestions on how our playgroup can spend the money, and plan a long weekend away with a Volvo!

I heard about the WBP on the news, and wondered if you went!

Great news about you winning the prize!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Thu March 26th, 2009, 6:44 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:I'm jealous! I'd love to visit Egypt but could never afford to, and also I don't do well in the heat. Was it very hot?

SM

It was about 30°C, in Aswan on Friday afternoon it was more, very hot there. But if you go in January or February it's not so hot I heard.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Thu March 26th, 2009, 9:17 pm

My daughter got her driver's license today! (Now she can run errands--but this could be a worst thing too because now I have to worry about accidents.)
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Fri March 27th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Last night we went to see The Who! O M G !!! they were fantastic! Brilliant! Loved it!

Then today, a friend from England came to see me! She is here with her hubby for a wedding and said she wanted to come and see me, so she took 4 days out of her holiday to come to Adelaide. For any one else this might not be a lot, but my friend has terminal cancer. She was given the OK by the doctor to travel, and wanted to make the most of it. They came over, had dinner with us, and lots of talking. She knew the children from a young age, in fact it she was instrumental in my becoming a teaching assistant!
We had a lovely evening, and I know I probably wont see her again, but I also know she will go back and tell my other friends that we are settled.
Sad, but happy.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Fri March 27th, 2009, 1:47 pm

What a lovely chance to spend some last time together Pat.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 12:22 pm

the good times are what counts, they are the ones we reflect upon.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 2:33 pm

Baseball....Baseball.....The Philadelphia Phillies opening is Sunday night....BTW....the only sport you can do some light reading while watching the game.....

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Mon April 6th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Well, kind of v. boring day in that I've spent most of it in Heathrow Airport (still am). I'm flying to Israel today. Was supposed to be flying early afternoon but they offered me heaps of money to take the night flight instead. As it's pretty much enough to recoup the whole cost of the flight, it seemed silly not to, especially as I didn't have a particular need to be there tonight.
Well, I've spent all afternoon reading, and eating at the airline's expense, so I can't complain. I hate flying at night but there goes.
On the internet in the airline's lounge at the moment, but I probably won't be online again till I'm home in 11 days' time. Bye for now.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon April 6th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Have a good time SPB, and enjoy Passover!

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Mon April 6th, 2009, 8:05 pm

"sweetpotatoboy" wrote:Well, kind of v. boring day in that I've spent most of it in Heathrow Airport (still am). I'm flying to Israel today. Was supposed to be flying early afternoon but they offered me heaps of money to take the night flight instead. As it's pretty much enough to recoup the whole cost of the flight, it seemed silly not to, especially as I didn't have a particular need to be there tonight.
Well, I've spent all afternoon reading, and eating at the airline's expense, so I can't complain. I hate flying at night but there goes.
On the internet in the airline's lounge at the moment, but I probably won't be online again till I'm home in 11 days' time. Bye for now.

Have a great trip! Every time I've been in a position where I could give up my seat on a flight, I've been on too tight a schedule to accept the offer!
Susan Higginbotham

Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Chat”