Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Richard
Reader

Postby Richard » Sat February 28th, 2009, 5:50 pm

My 6-year old daughter just produced a 5-page graphic novel featuring talking dogs. She traced the dogs from a Sandra Boynton book and gave them word balloons. She's even included advanced layout elements such as off-panel speakers and thought balloons. Atta girl! Just be sure you get a good day job before you try to publish!
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

User signature picture

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sat February 28th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Like father, like daughter :)

enelya
Reader

Postby enelya » Sat February 28th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Seeing my little sister, on her birthday...and while she is pregnant. I am going to be an auntie :D

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat February 28th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Congrats! I am going to spend time with my nephew today!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 3:11 pm

Discovering the adress and profession of some of my ancestors.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 3:12 pm

"Richard" wrote:My 6-year old daughter just produced a 5-page graphic novel featuring talking dogs. She traced the dogs from a Sandra Boynton book and gave them word balloons. She's even included advanced layout elements such as off-panel speakers and thought balloons. Atta girl! Just be sure you get a good day job before you try to publish!

Or live off of your parents.... =))

Richard
Reader

Postby Richard » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 3:47 pm

"Volgadon" wrote:Or live off of your parents.... =))

NOOOOOO!!!!! See thread on how having a day job helps writing and vice versa... plus I intend to use all my money to live the life of leisure I was denied by not having wealthy parents myself.

Speaking of ancestors, congrats on finding yours, Volgadon! What was their profession?

User signature picture

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 4:14 pm

I rather ment your 6 year-old could.....

The elder brother was a bricklayer, the younger a hodsman, or maurer and maurergehilfte. They were from Czernowitz (modern day Chirnivtzy) then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Richard
Reader

Postby Richard » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 4:41 pm

"Volgadon" wrote:I rather ment your 6 year-old could.....

Yes, until such time as she becomes my 18-21 year-old.

User signature picture

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed March 4th, 2009, 9:45 am

The best thing today, for the vast majority of Victorians, is the fact that the bushfire threat has finally been declared over after nearly four weeks of fires, warnings, evacuations etc.

The other best thing is that I managed to get tickets to go and see the Sound Relief concert, which is a fund raiser for Bushfire victims. It took nearly an hour, and I had very nearly given up when I finally got through (the ticket company's system didn't seem to cope very well with such heavy demand). This will be my son's first official grown up concert which is kind of cool!

Acts performing in Melbourne include Kings of Leon, Jack Johnson, Midnight Oil and Split Enz (both reforming for this gig) and a few others. Can't wait!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”