Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

User avatar
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac
Location: Vashon, WA
Contact:

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat January 17th, 2009, 6:59 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Yay! Finally have permission to walk (although still use the walker outside the home). Made it down the stairs, to the car (thank goodness it started after six weeks cold), to the library and home and back up the stairs with no mishaps. Independence is returning :) :) :)


Yeah Misfit!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

gyrehead
Reader

Postby gyrehead » Sat January 17th, 2009, 8:00 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:Ooh! I know how to thaw pipes! Also know a few ways to help prevent the freezing. Growing up in an old house has it's advantages. Our water has only frozen three times since we moved, and we always got it back within a few hours.


My grandparents house was like that. Had it's own spring so come the first threat of a ground freeze the water was let run in the main kitchen sink. Tasted glorious all year round but in the winter it was so cold it bit back.

My house now is also huge and old but the new sewage system that went in for my neighborhood required a huge new set of pipes for both inflow and outflow that sits outside undeground and no amount of knowledge on my part is going to be able to address the issue of those pipes freezing. Well other than paying an arm and leg to have a backhoe come dig them up. With night lows of 20 below zero (F) last night I just went safe and did what my grandparents use to do. Let a trickle of water run all night. I did do it in my huge shower and was able to actually set up a descending water trap system to catch as much of it as I could. Not that it was that much but I do feel a bit guilty. Not enough to risk frozen pipes though!

User avatar
Helen_Davis
Compulsive Reader

Postby Helen_Davis » Sat January 17th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Someone bought my book ^_^ :D
http://evaperonnovel.wordpress.com


"The first time a book has gotten us close to Evita, in all her misery and all her splendor."
Excerpt from the Spanish summary of my novel

User avatar
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac
Location: Vashon, WA
Contact:

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat January 17th, 2009, 9:41 pm

gyre: when we had our rash of really cold weather recently I also let water run through our kitchen sink, just a drip drip. Also at night I placed room heaters in front of both the kitchen and bathroom sinks. No frozen pipes here!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

User avatar
pat
Avid Reader
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby pat » Tue January 20th, 2009, 9:34 am

Followed the Tour Downunder today! Had a great time, saw it in race neutral, then in the hills and then at the finish. Saw Lance Armstrong from the rear! Fantastic time till....(see worst thing board)
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

User avatar
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Contact:

Postby LoveHistory » Tue January 20th, 2009, 8:38 pm

"gyrehead" wrote:My grandparents house was like that. Had it's own spring so come the first threat of a ground freeze the water was let run in the main kitchen sink. Tasted glorious all year round but in the winter it was so cold it bit back.

My house now is also huge and old but the new sewage system that went in for my neighborhood required a huge new set of pipes for both inflow and outflow that sits outside undeground and no amount of knowledge on my part is going to be able to address the issue of those pipes freezing. Well other than paying an arm and leg to have a backhoe come dig them up. With night lows of 20 below zero (F) last night I just went safe and did what my grandparents use to do. Let a trickle of water run all night. I did do it in my huge shower and was able to actually set up a descending water trap system to catch as much of it as I could. Not that it was that much but I do feel a bit guilty. Not enough to risk frozen pipes though!


I also recommend opening cabinet doors under sinks to let the heated air circulate. And what Sonja said about the heaters too.

User avatar
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac
Location: Vashon, WA
Contact:

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue January 20th, 2009, 8:40 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:I also recommend opening cabinet doors under sinks to let the heated air circulate. And what Sonja said about the heaters too.


Yes, we had the doors open when we had the heaters in front of them.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

User avatar
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac
Location: Vashon, WA
Contact:

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue January 20th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Obama being sworn in as the 44th President of the United States of America, WHOO HOO!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

User avatar
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed January 21st, 2009, 5:36 am

I had a very pleasant day out today. Firstly I spent time with my sister and nephew, and then we went out for lunch in one of the 'village' areas near us. Then we spent some time in a couple of craft stores, and then I bought my son a new DS which he is very excited about (he saved more than half of the cost so it has been a while coming now), and then I went and got a manicure.

Now I am ready for a nap, and to relax for a while.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry


There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

User avatar
pat
Avid Reader
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby pat » Wed January 21st, 2009, 7:14 am

"diamondlil" wrote:I had a very pleasant day out today. Firstly I spent time with my sister and nephew, and then we went out for lunch in one of the 'village' areas near us. Then we spent some time in a couple of craft stores, and then I bought my son a new DS which he is very excited about (he saved more than half of the cost so it has been a while coming now), and then I went and got a manicure.

Now I am ready for a nap, and to relax for a while.



Thats funny! Nathan had saved his Christmas money and got his new DS today! He has now gone to play with a friend at West Beach and is stopping for a sleepover so the rest of us are going out for a Thai/Chinese/Indian meal as he dont like them!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx


Return to “Chat”