Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue January 13th, 2009, 10:25 am

If it had of been a Saturday game I probably would have got up and watched it, but not on a school night! ;)
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed January 14th, 2009, 12:24 am

Yay! Check up with the knee doc today and I'm allowed to walk (!!!) indoors without the walker (I think I forgot how to walk :( :o ). Feels very weird but nice to make some headway and no mention of anything bad like surgery on the knee, just to make an appointment with the PT (physical therapy) person. Joy.

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Wed January 14th, 2009, 4:21 am

I spoke to a co-ordinator at the college I will be going to yesterday. I needed to discuss how much contact time I would need (sorry, I am a mum with home responsibilities that mean a lot to me. Family comes first!) She was so helpfull! I only need to go for one subject if I want! A lot can even be done home study! I explained that I could do approx 3 full days (9-3ish) in class and she said that it should be no problem to sort out. I am really stoked!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Wed January 14th, 2009, 5:25 pm

In one of those bittersweet twists in life, yesterday, the day I put my cat, Zazu, to rest, I also found out I had been approved to put a deposit down on an expected litter of Presa Canario puppies. While pitbulls will always be the breed of my heart I've been wanting a dog that I can do protection sports with but is also a stable loving family dog. Pitbulls have the stable loving family dog part down but are not suited for protection work. So for over a year I've been researching Presa Canario breeders, carefully as this breed tends to attract less than savory characters, but I finally found some breeders (few and far between) that have awesome working dogs. The dogs in the lines of this litter excel in personal protection sports, agility, weightpulling, are all Canine Good Citizens, very social, family dogs who lie with and are great with children.

I've been holding off on making a decision because the stress of a puppy wouldn't have been good for Zazu and he could've lived a week or six months, we just weren't sure! But last night I checked my email one last time before bed and got the notice I'd been approved for my first choice litter! I'm so excited. The puppies are due in two weeks and are in very high demand due to their excellent lines so I'm so happy! Now everyone keep your fingers crossed that the brindle male fairy visits Mama dog, lol!!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed January 14th, 2009, 5:51 pm

LCW: good luck wishes on getting the puppy of your choice!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed January 14th, 2009, 7:58 pm

congrats on the pups LCW. What do these dogs look like, I've never heard of this breed?

I know what you mean about unsavoury owners, we have the same problem over here with pitbulls and similar breeds.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Wed January 14th, 2009, 8:15 pm

They look like this, Madeline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyPXsC0rAyA

Thanks, Sonja! I'm just hoping that there's a brindle male in the litter with the temperament I want. It's exciting!
Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu January 15th, 2009, 12:05 pm

"LCW" wrote:They look like this, Madeline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyPXsC0rAyA

Thanks, Sonja! I'm just hoping that there's a brindle male in the litter with the temperament I want. It's exciting!

thanks for that, they're certainly having fun in that clip. They do look powerful dogs though.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Thu January 15th, 2009, 4:41 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:thanks for that, they're certainly having fun in that clip. They do look powerful dogs though.

Oh they are! That's why it's important to pick out a properly bred dog and then raise it and train it right. They are pretty rare and were virtually unknown in this country until two of them fatally attacked a woman in SF. That was all over the news for a year and it is still the thing that, unfortunately, defines the breed today. But those dogs were owned by drug dealers and were abused, chained, and unsocialized which is enough to make any dog vicious regardless of breed. I chose the breed because they are very loyal, able to do protection sports, but don't have the energy and bouncing off the wall drives like dogs such as German Shepherds or Malinois have. They can still be great safe family dogs unlike other breeds that traditionally excel in these sports. I'm so excited and can't wait for the puppy! I'm going to name him Troubadour!! :D
Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Thu January 15th, 2009, 4:53 pm

As far as I know, they are banned in the UK due to the issue you describe LCW.
In my experience there is virtually no such thing as a bad dog, (I say virtually, because there must be the extremely rare occasional one), just bad owners. People look at our pooch and say 'I wish mine was as well behaved as yours.' Well their could be, if they went about training it right. Ours is a small collie cross, although goodness knows crossed what with. But he is never, ever on a lead unless he has to be by law. He waits at road junctions. He sits outside shops without moving. He's instantly obedient and under control in all situations and it's down to being properly trained. Okay, the collie blood makes for good aptitude, but it's still possible with most dogs.
Good luck with yours. Fingers crossed you get your wish! :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Chat”