Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sun August 17th, 2014, 10:58 pm

My choices were Dell or Lenovo, and I got the low-end Dell - not for looks, but when I compared battery life and WEIGHT. This new one weighs about 4.7 pounds, and the Lenovo was 5.3. I'm pretty pleased with that choice so far.

This isn't as responsive as my old computer, and it's not particularly sexy, but it's functional - and I haven't taken as long to yank all the weeds out as I'd feared, though there are still a few popups to gnash my teeth about. Chrome and IE, though, both lost out to Firefox, which is the least-worst option. I got MSOffice for about $10 (also via the employee purchase program), so am actually doing pretty well, configuration-wise. And not minding Windows 8.1 either (after the reviews for 8, I wasn't looking forward to the "upgrade"!)

My Asus lasted almost five years, got me two jobs, and helped me to finish a novel. Shoot, it helped me find Penelope the pup, even! Hell of a run, that! It'll get to rest now, and this little number should do the job.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu August 21st, 2014, 7:51 pm

Today I was the recipient of a heart-warming random act of kindness.
Recently our county mandated BYOB (bring your own bag) at grocery stores. But since I'm always wandering around with my head in a plot, I often show up bagless, as I did this morning at Trader Joes.
The checker just whipped out a fancy $1 Trader Joe bag and loaded my groceries in it, explaining, "The lady before you paid for a bunch of these to be given to the next 10 shoppers who needed a bag."
Made my day!
And it'll help me remember to bring bags next time, because I'm going to pass that bag on. :D
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat August 30th, 2014, 12:46 am

This may not be the right place to post this, but I wanted to thank HFO for bringing me new friends, a sense of purpose in my writing work, the inspiration of our authorial members - and for helping me on that part of my writing work that involves my blog. Within a few days, I should hit the 100K hit mark, and I am so very grateful to all of you for keeping me going.

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Wed September 3rd, 2014, 10:02 pm

Saturday- going out of town. Trying tea samples, picking up a tea, and getting some samples in the post.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri September 5th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Getting home from hols to find I've won a free book (see shopping thread).
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue September 9th, 2014, 4:31 am

This is really a 'best thing yesterday'. Spent the weekend at Cameron Park Lake Tudor Fayre, and after a rather long hiatus, our guild played court. We did a brilliant job, if I do say so myself, and I had fun debuting my new character, Cecily Bodingham, Abbess of Wilton. An abess' costume is CONSIDERABLY cooler, and I could be as history-nerdy as I wanted without having to come up with a reason why a lower household person would know so much. It was a great compromise--playing noble without having to wear nobles. Yay!
And here's Mercy as Queen Katherine:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FredQ on Thu October 30th, 2014, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Picture attached was broken
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
User signature picture

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue September 9th, 2014, 4:43 am

And here is the big face-off between Katherine and Anne Boleyn (the gig was that she was forced to wear the ugly brown gable hood instead of her French hood)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Wed September 10th, 2014, 12:09 am

Gorgeous pieces. I have gotten so I quite like the box headdress. Somehow, it does flatter.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Mon September 22nd, 2014, 2:08 pm

It's official. We put our house up for sale. Now we're biting our nails hoping it will actually sell in a reasonable time period. My husband is changing jobs and we'll be moving from Georgia to Virginia once we've sold our house. I'm not even going to worry yet about my own job prospects. I've been with my current employer for 17 years, so the prospect of changing from a relatively secure position to one of uncertainty is scary. I keep telling myself, change is good.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon September 22nd, 2014, 10:42 pm

Ludmilla, depending on where you are headed in VA, don't hesitate to reach out to me, I'd be glad to point you to some of the better employers if you might be in central VA. (And some of the worse ones!)

Congrats on the new job, new horizons. May the house sell for a reasonable price, too! And welcome to the Old Dominion. :)

Return to “Chat”