Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Fri May 23rd, 2014, 3:59 pm

Way to go, MLE! It's always a "best thing" when a reader loves your stuff enough to read everything--and the fact that she's a major agent makes it all the sweeter.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Fri May 23rd, 2014, 11:42 pm

BRAVO, MLE!!! Now I need to go check out your somnolent blog!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Tue May 27th, 2014, 12:45 am

Having started the "new" job five months ago and some change, and having gotten the best news of my life one week ago, this long weekend has been its own best thing, three days in a row now. The weather got nice and hot, but we've had breezes. I spent time with friends twice in a row, and time with my mom and stepfather as well. Got a lot done, house is clean, grass is mowed, and some more work on the revisions too. Today I got a nice NAP, even!

It's growing dark, and I'm watching American Antiques Roadshow taped recently here in my hometown. Penelope is outside enjoying a soft evening in her yard, and Gossamer is quietly napping in "his" room. Me, I'm ready for a short week, and contemplating what to do with the vacation time I'll finally have in my time balances within three weeks.

So much to be thankful for, so much to be grateful for.

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Wed May 28th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Everything has so many wonderful and positive things going on-reading and catching up with all of you via your posts is by far the best thing about today!
Brenna

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Tue June 10th, 2014, 11:23 pm

This wasn't today, but this past weekend I did clear a long-lurking nuisance out of my house!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon June 30th, 2014, 9:43 pm

It looks like Jay will be going to this year's x-org developer's conference--this year in Bordeaux! :p And so of course, I'm going along for the reduced-price ride, and vacation afterwards.
I'm hoping that Oracle won't 'pull the rug' on foreign travel, like they did two years ago on the Nuremberg conference.
Unfortunately, it's in October, so can't line it up with the London HNS conference. Now I just have to decide which way to go for the week afterwards: North for Portsmouth, the new Mary Rose museum, and all things renaissance-English; or south to Madrid, El Escorial (always wanted to go there) and another round of Toledo.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat August 9th, 2014, 5:43 pm

My Asus laptop has been blue-screening for some weeks and I've been running almost exclusively in Safe Mode. I am THISCLOSE to purchasing a new Dell through the employee purchase program at my work. Teetering on taking the plunge, as other expenses are coming up - however, I need to do this no matter what else comes up, and at under $350 I know what I want ...

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Tue August 12th, 2014, 7:02 pm

I've been thinking about a tablet or 2-in-1 combo to replace my little netbook. What are you looking at, Diane?

User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Wed August 13th, 2014, 12:34 am

With finances the way they are, I went with a very basic 15.6" Dell non-touch with an optical drive. With my employee purchase program, it was under $300. I thought about convertibles, BUT I already have a tablet (Galaxy 10.1, and I really like it, though I have done it no justice really in terms of what IT can do!), and the convertibles seem to be higher priced still.

I sought advice from one of the smartest IT people I know, and his word came down to this: "Get what looks good on your coffee table and with your decor." He had brief tech advice, but it all boiled down to the idea that unless you are seriously attached to particular tools and/or features, a laptop is a laptop, get the one you think is shiny and neato. :)

Looks like I should get delivery tomorrow, but of course I'll have a world of configuring to do, as well as de-installing bundles of software and customizing those I do want. Which will probably take forever, I'm bad at prioritizing tech! :p

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun August 17th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Thanks, Diane! My husband had an employee discount on another brand, but I just didn't like its looks--your tech guy has a point.

User signature picture

Return to “Chat”