Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon July 22nd, 2013, 8:25 pm

My best thing today is my editor. I have a freelance one I found after a long and expensive search a year and a half ago, and she's tough, demanding, and very helpful as we work on a prequel to launch a 5-novel series I wrote back-to-front over the last decade. Only she hasn't read any but the first two, as I wanted her to edit as though she were the reader. So all she knows id that the story arc of the two male lead characters ends up with them going as conquistadors with Pizarro. (Of course my first novel would be in Peru, I raise and work with llamas, right?)

Anyway, she emailed me that she is taking a family trip to Peru, and will happily swap several hours of editing if she can just get her hands on my last two novels.

Given what she charges per hour, that's the most anybody is EVER likely to pay for one of my books! :D

So I confess that I'm now re-reading the Inca's Ransom (190K) which I haven't even looked at for 3 years, hoping 'the editorasaurus' will like it.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed July 24th, 2013, 9:43 pm

That's great, MLE!

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Fri July 26th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Kinda silly, but... the cover art for SKP's A King's Ransom is up on Amazon. (It'll look good next to Lionheart, so I'm pleased.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun July 28th, 2013, 2:58 am

That's not silly, Nefret. It's about a book, and we are readers here. :D

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sun July 28th, 2013, 5:49 am

I'll be happier when the cover shows up on Goodreads. And when the novel comes to live on my shelf, of course.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sun July 28th, 2013, 6:59 pm

A dear friend and one of my writing group companions publishes next month! She's not histfic, but you have to love her dragon tale (featuring not a teenager, but a woman her and my own age ... it's called "Hot Flashes" - hee!). I'm excited for her and thrilled to see her novel coming out.

I'm up to the part where Clovis is gathering allies for his first major conquest, in my own edits. Editing without readers is a difficult task, but I hope I am doing the work justice.

STILL have not gotten an interview together for ECM, though. I suck. :P
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favorite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Postby Lisa » Mon July 29th, 2013, 11:29 am

I'm going to London this afternoon. My company is sending me and it's a bit last-minute, which I usually get annoyed at, but it's summer and I'll be staying in a hotel next to Tower Green and will have the next three evenings free, so I can wander around and see some interesting sights since it's still light and warm in the evenings (hope the rain will stay off though). :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon July 29th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Hope you have a good trip Lady B - rain is a bit off and on, but it's cooler today so hopefully you should have some nice evenings. Any plans?
Currently reading "Heavenfield" by L J Ross & "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favorite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Postby Lisa » Mon July 29th, 2013, 8:46 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Hope you have a good trip Lady B - rain is a bit off and on, but it's cooler today so hopefully you should have some nice evenings. Any plans?

Thanks! Enjoying some sushi in hotel room now. Was lightly raining when I went out, but I barely noticed, since it's nothing like the freezing windy rain we get up where I'm from! Hopefully I can avoid any colleague dinners and please myself, fancy a wander round Tower hill/that park with the Roman and medieval walls, and the St Dunstan garden tomorrow evening, then Wed I think I'll get the tube to Westminster and wander round everything there. Plenty of awesome things to see on a walk after everything's closed for the day. Maybe being a tad antisocial but this is me time! And a change of scenery :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sun August 4th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Finally finished my interview for EC2 and plan to send today - and there are a number of similar good things going on for me right now.

Also, in huge dork news, I got an RT from LeVar Burton on Twitter, and have received about 500 hits off that. I've been working hard on the blog and traffic has gone up nicely lately, but I have to admit that was FUN to see. (LeVar Burton is the American actor who featured as Kunta Kinte in the 1970s miniseries "Roots", he was also on Star Trek - The Next Generation as chief engineer Geordi LaForge, and - my favorite thing he ever did - he has a very very long running children's series on Public Broadcasting, "Reading Rainbow".) The post he RT'd is here, a short RR film about how currency is made!

SQUEE!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Chat”