Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu March 14th, 2013, 9:35 am

We had some of that mix and match weather too - a heavy sleet shower, then brilliant sunshine one side of the street, and dark clouds the other.
Currently reading "The Dark Angel" by Elly Griffiths

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Thu March 14th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Had a fun thing happen. I checked out my blog and found a strange "referrer." Backtracked and found that an online course "Year10A-Elective" is using a free ebook I wrote as part of their syllabus. They reference the essays on the primary sources of Hypatia of Alexandria and my analysis of the movie Agora the "reel vs. real Hypatia." I haven't figured out who is giving the course from the website, but it's way cool to be an academic resource!

BTW, the ebook is free here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/143482. I'll be updating it soon (a few copy edit errors to take care of) and slapping a (modest) price on it when I put out the paper version. It's been free for a year and downloaded over a thousand times. We'll see if I've exhausted the market or people don't want to pay anything!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu March 14th, 2013, 11:07 pm

That's great, Faith! It is always so validating to have academe notice you've written something. See if you can link back from your website, it's promotional!

I had that experience in the '90's (Back when the web was very small) when the U. of Oaklahoma emailed to ask if they could use part of the description of llama conformation on our website in one of their beginning general vet texts. They said it was the clearest, simplest explanation of leg action they had found, and worked just as well for all quadripeds. Well of course it was clear and simple -- it was written for age 12-to-17 4H kids. :p

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Fri March 15th, 2013, 12:18 am

Faith congratulations - that's NEAT! :)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

:Sarita:
Reader

Postby :Sarita: » Sat March 16th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Leaving work at 6, knowing that I now have two days off- yippeee!! :D
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

[Albert Camus]

MyTumblr
MyTwitter

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sun March 17th, 2013, 4:37 pm

EC2 and her agent and I got into a little Twitter giggle the other night, culminating in my bumping her (Carole Blake) to the top of my query list. I don't expect a positive response, but it was fun, and they were both so generous. And I made Carole Blake laugh, so that was nice!

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun March 17th, 2013, 5:40 pm

"DianeL" wrote:EC2 and her agent and I got into a little Twitter giggle the other night, culminating in my bumping her (Carole Blake) to the top of my query list. I don't expect a positive response, but it was fun, and they were both so generous. And I made Carole Blake laugh, so that was nice!

She's magnificent! People say she can be scary, but that's because she doesn't suffer fools gladly and is forthright about it and has a personality as huge as her jewellery! But, having said that, she is the soul of tact and acumen when it comes to negotiating deals for her clients and deeply intelligent. She knows how to get the best for you the writer while leaving the publisher on a high thinking they've got a brilliant deal too. She's especially good at foreign rights. When historical fiction was in the doldrums in the UK and the USA, she was keeping me going in terms of income in places like Scandinavia and Estonia and Hungary. She knows when to stick to her guns and when to compromise. She will also go in hard for her authors if there are problems. Talking to agents and editors in the industry I have found her to be highly respected and deeply loved.
I hope your query is successful, but even if it's not, keep in touch with her on Twitter because she's good fun socially anyway, and you'll also absorb a great deal about the publishing industry from her and some of the people she talks to just in the course of daily exchanges. You could also try querying her former assistant Oliver Munson, who has moved agencies to A.M.Heath as his career climbs the ladder but is a great guy with an eclectic client list. On twitter as @Oliagent :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon March 18th, 2013, 11:13 pm

"EC2" wrote:She's magnificent! People say she can be scary, but that's because she doesn't suffer fools gladly and is forthright about it and has a personality as huge as her jewellery! But, having said that, she is the soul of tact and acumen when it comes to negotiating deals for her clients and deeply intelligent. She knows how to get the best for you the writer while leaving the publisher on a high thinking they've got a brilliant deal too. She's especially good at foreign rights. When historical fiction was in the doldrums in the UK and the USA, she was keeping me going in terms of income in places like Scandinavia and Estonia and Hungary. She knows when to stick to her guns and when to compromise. She will also go in hard for her authors if there are problems. Talking to agents and editors in the industry I have found her to be highly respected and deeply loved.
I hope your query is successful, but even if it's not, keep in touch with her on Twitter because she's good fun socially anyway, and you'll also absorb a great deal about the publishing industry from her and some of the people she talks to just in the course of daily exchanges. You could also try querying her former assistant Oliver Munson, who has moved agencies to A.M.Heath as his career climbs the ladder but is a great guy with an eclectic client list. On twitter as @Oliagent :)

Thank you VERY much, you are so generous! We don't know one another well, but I suspect I don't come across, at least, as being particularly easy to bruise. :) What intrigues me about Ms. Blake is her editorial ability; I feel my work is in its best shape, BUT I am also very much drawn to the agents who can provide expertise and advice which will make a PUBLISHER think it's the best. I will absolutely take your advice!

By the way, I was going to reach out to you to ask whether you would like to see what I said to her. In terms of our acquaintance, I kept it to this comment:

"Thank you for the brief Twitter exchange tonight with Elizabeth Chadwick. I will say firstly that in no way does she know my work nor endorse it, but we are acquainted through the Historical Fiction Online fora, and I admire her talent and am grateful for her generosity. She was kind to encourage me to query you, and I appreciate your time and forbearance. As she mentioned, I read and then posted a link to your 29 points of advice recently on my blog. Do allow me to say, I had you on my list to research and query before her kind words!" (This, followed by a brief query letter, with the first three chapters and a synopsis attached in Word per guidelines.)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Tue March 26th, 2013, 10:51 pm

EC, last night Carole Tweeted she might have to break her two-years-without-signing-anyone streak. I'm sure she's had HUNDREDS of queries since mine, and who knows when she received the one she's interested in, but until I get a rejection from her I'm in sort of an exciting state of Schroedinger's Query. :)

Oh, and I did submit to Oli as well. Thank you so much more than I can reasonably express without boring everyone here (perhaps including you!).

In other super-duper news, ONE WEEK from RIGHT NOW, I will be spending dinner with my family, including brother and two nieces, visiting for the first time in a long time. I'm very excited to see them, I haven't seen them in the better part of two years now. Squeeeeeeeeeee! :D

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue March 26th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Fingers crossed Diane! :)
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses