Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sun March 10th, 2013, 4:48 am

Counting my blessings as I was running up in the hills today that

a) I live in a beautiful place (easy to take for granted)

b) It's only a 5 minute drive from home to a nearby forestry block where 9 times out of 10 I won’t met a single soul while I'm running, the only sounds are the creaking of trees, the soughing of branches in the wind, birds singing and cicadas chirring, and that the only dangerous critters I need to worry about are the odd enthusiastic mountain biker or horse rider :)

and

c) Despite my age (mid –‘60s) I still can go for a 90 minute jog in the hills.

A glimpse through the trees down into the valley.
Last edited by annis on Sun March 10th, 2013, 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun March 10th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Just beautiful Annis - everyone needs things like this as food for the soul!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun March 10th, 2013, 11:39 pm

Lovely place, Annis, thanks for sharing. One of these days I'll post a shot of my daily hill.

My best hing was for this whole weekend. The guild played the Sonora Celtic festival, and instead of my usual storytelling, I went for short-form humor, as this this set ot jokes:
"Riddle me this: what be the difference between a lute player (You be not a lute player, sir? Ah, tis well) and a leg of mutton?"
After various guesses, I lean in to the woman, wink and exclaim, "ONE can feed a family of four."
If that got a laugh, I followed with "And in the same vein, What is a minstrel called if he hath no woman?"
"Homeless!"
And if the group was really laughing, I gave them a bonus question:
"Now as a matter of etiquette, answer me this: if a musician knocketh upon your door at night, what is the seemly thing to do?"
Many a guess, and then I drop the 'faire speak' entirely. "Give him the money and take your pizza!"

I had a ball. Maybe I'll change over to stand-up comedy.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon March 11th, 2013, 1:38 am

MLE, fantastic! :D

I did some queries tonight, got some things organized, spent some time with the kit and pup (Gossamer has been playing Kitten In A Box most of the day - aww), and am pretty much ready for a new week. Woot!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Mon March 11th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Yesterday, I was able to run 5 miles. To think this time last year, running 1.5 was a big deal. The asthma is getting much better I think-thank goodness!
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Mon March 11th, 2013, 1:55 pm

I took a lovely walk in the spring sunshine over to the Botanic Garden. My crocuses are blooming and other bulbs peeking through the winter debris. It was a very successful week writing-wise--I'm in a challenge with some friends to complete 30,000 words by the end of the month and I'm well on the way to meeting it--so needed some fresh air!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon March 11th, 2013, 11:38 pm

"Brenna" wrote:Yesterday, I was able to run 5 miles. To think this time last year, running 1.5 was a big deal. The asthma is getting much better I think-thank goodness!

Brenna, WAY to go!! I've been doing exercise at my desk during the day and have taken care of the granny flags on my arms but because I'm building muscle I still can't fit into this gorgeous jacket I bought last year. Oh, to have some sort of skill and think I could let the sleeves out to fit my beautiful (but not slender) arms. Blah! :D

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Tue March 12th, 2013, 10:22 pm

Thanks Diane! It has taken over a year, but I am finally starting to see changes. It is amazing how long it takes and the amount of effort it takes.
Brenna

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Wed March 13th, 2013, 2:38 am

Posted by DianeL
and have taken care of the granny flags on my arms

Here they're known as bingo wings :)

@Brenna: It's such a buzz when you achieve one of those goals, like getting all the way round the block or running 5 miles without stopping. And yes, I definitely find that my asthma deteriorates if I start slacking off on the exercise.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Wed March 13th, 2013, 11:18 pm

annis, too funny. :p

Best thing for me today was a major question at work being answered affirmatively. Good for everyone in my group. Today, at the hour the pope was elected, the 60-degree day shifted suddenly from a slightly overcast day to DRIVING SNOW FLURRIES and whitecaps on a little manmade lake, then to half a sky full of sun, half full of dark clouds, then rain, then sun, then I lost track. Not a good nor a bad thing, but we got some jokes out of it (the best? "The Pope's first miracle -reversing global warming!") and it made for a little break in the day.

Return to “Chat”