Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Tue December 25th, 2012, 2:12 am

Saturday I spent a lot of time culling wardrobe and coats, resulting in something like a full trunk of items I need to give to charity when I have it all packed up. Got the house clean too, which was nice (while it lasted! pets and Christmas aren't making for a reliably clean slate around here!).

Yesterday finished shopping, enjoyed a snooze, and got all presents sorted and ready to ship (yeah, we have a family tradition of Christmas sort of running long ...) and bring to my mom's house tomorrow. Had friends over and my presents made them go all goopy and happy. That was fun.

Today, got the fudge made none of us wants to eat (we're all sweets-ed out! I didn't even sample a tidbit - bleah) and caught a showing of "Anna Karenina" - really enjoyed that.

Tomorrow, quiet. Just me, mom, stepfather. And the fur-bearing babies. :)

Four and a half day weekend has been really nice so far.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Antoine Vanner
Reader

Best Things Yesterday - Airs above the ground

Postby Antoine Vanner » Fri December 28th, 2012, 7:26 pm

A wonderful day yesterday in Jerez, Andalusia, at the Royal Spanish School of Equitation - Span's answer to Austria's "Spanish" Riding School in Vienna. A superb display not only of dressage but also of "airs above the ground" when the beautiful horses, unridden, perform classic moves such as the cabriole which go back to the seventeenth century.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Fri January 11th, 2013, 4:48 am

Finding a lot of things I was wondering where they were. Including three of my swords. yay!
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat January 12th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Beyond the best thing just today, this past week or two has been the best in a while at work. There aren't any specific accomplishments, nor roadblocks down, but after this summer's litany of rotten things, I had a slump and was not very productive. Feeling more motivated again means feeling more in control, too, which is gratifying.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

:Sarita:
Reader

Postby :Sarita: » Sun February 17th, 2013, 10:10 pm

Seeing my darling baby nephew again :) He has grown so much! I'm smitten <3
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

[Albert Camus]

MyTumblr
MyTwitter

:Sarita:
Reader

Postby :Sarita: » Mon February 18th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Going out for a walk with my parents, the sun was shining brightly and we walked along the river front. Very beautiful.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

[Albert Camus]

MyTumblr
MyTwitter

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Postby Nefret » Tue February 19th, 2013, 4:59 am

Went out of town on a shopping adventure. Tried a lot of new teas. Bought new pants (I've actually gone down almost two sizes).
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue February 19th, 2013, 9:25 am

"Nefret" wrote:Finding a lot of things I was wondering where they were. Including three of my swords. yay!

I'm curious - how could you mislay 3 swords, and umm, why do have them???! :confused: ;)
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Postby Nefret » Tue February 19th, 2013, 11:02 am

"Madeleine" wrote:[/B]

I'm curious - how could you mislay 3 swords, and umm, why do have them???! :confused: ;)

Because I like weapons. I was going through stuff, and found my set of mini-swords that I had put away, they're in a much better spot now.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue February 19th, 2013, 3:32 pm

"Nefret" wrote:Because I like weapons. I was going through stuff, and found my set of mini-swords that I had put away, they're in a much better spot now.

Yikes :eek: ! Do you mind if I ask why?
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

Return to “Chat”