Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sun July 15th, 2012, 8:57 pm

I must shamefacedly admit that the two cat adoption was more than I intended, and as guilty as I feel about it, I'm going to have to set an appointment to return one of the boys (Elijah, the second one I met). He is a love bug, and should have no trouble getting a home, but the plan to at some point get a dog again means I'd end up being a single woman in a three-pet household, which I lost sight of when I was watching Solomon play with Elijah. E deserves better, so I will have to take him back. I would not be as good a student, nor kit-mom, if I kept both of the boys right now.

They're napping at the moment, and Solly took a nap earlier on my chest. We'll have fun until I get get E back to the (no kill) SPCA.

I should have looked at the way they spelled Solly's name: Solo Man.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Sun July 15th, 2012, 10:35 pm

Coincidentally, I took my daughters to the animal shelter on Friday and we adopted two kittens. Oldest daughter picked out an orange, male tabby and named him Tiger. Youngest daughter picked out a gray female with white paws and a white speck on her nose. She named her kitten Mittens. We've been playing with them all weekend.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon July 16th, 2012, 2:41 am

Not nearly as adorable as kittens, but I got my first review of my new novel. Well actually it's a review of the first 7500 words of it, but it was positive overall and I'm pleased.

Here's a link, if anybody would like to check it out. The First 7500 Words

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Mon July 16th, 2012, 3:23 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:Not nearly as adorable as kittens, but I got my first review of my new novel. Well actually it's a review of the first 7500 words of it, but it was positive overall and I'm pleased.

Here's a link, if anybody would like to check it out. The First 7500 Words

Nice review, LH! I think Jennifer was spot on.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon July 16th, 2012, 5:21 pm

"fljustice" wrote:Nice review, LH! I think Jennifer was spot on.

Thank you, fljustice!

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Mon July 16th, 2012, 8:03 pm

(Yesterday) Going out of town to a festival. It was so fun.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon July 16th, 2012, 11:33 pm

Way to go, LH! *High fives*

Good performance review with the boss today, with some encouraging words about the future after our project is over. No surprises, but still a boost!

It's funny, Solly is rapidly taking ownership of me - marking me, staying close, communicating a lot. Elijah, whom I realized I can't keep, is acting like a very friendly, sweet, affectionate house guest. He loves head rubs, but isn't marking my ankles nor relating to me more than to Soloman. I like giving him affection, but am looking forward to building the relationship with Solly on our own, too. (Until that time I get a dog again!)

Elijah had a bloody stool last night. He behaves and appears healthy overall, so I hope he has no serious issues. He definitely deserves a good and loving home.

But then, don't they all ... ?
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

lauragill
Avid Reader

Postby lauragill » Mon July 16th, 2012, 11:46 pm

Spent the day at the local university library researching the Palace of Knossos. Had a wonderful time browsing through all the books on ancient Greece.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue July 17th, 2012, 1:55 pm

"lauragill" wrote:Spent the day at the local university library researching the Palace of Knossos. Had a wonderful time browsing through all the books on ancient Greece.

That sounds like so much fun, Laura!

lauragill
Avid Reader

Postby lauragill » Wed July 18th, 2012, 2:30 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:That sounds like so much fun, Laura!

My only complaint is that so many of the books were from the 60s and 70s, and not much in the way of recent stuff. But I did get access to a book on the Knossos Labyrinth that would have cost me $100 to buy on Amazon, and they did have George Mylonas's book on Mycenae, which included information on the construction of the secret cistern, which I need for the next book in the Orestes series.
Last edited by lauragill on Wed July 18th, 2012, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more info

Return to “Chat”