Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Fri May 20th, 2011, 4:28 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:Clearly we need a bird thread. :D

And we could title it "This thread is for the birds!" :p I've never been particularly "into" birds, but I'm smitten with this little one and her babies. In my former neighborhood we had (I'm not sure if they were doves or pigeons) and they made the most pleasant cooing sounds. I'm hoping that in a few years when the trees in this neighborhood are a decent size, some will decide to hang out here, too.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee & The Blue by Nancy Bilyeau (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Fri May 20th, 2011, 8:50 am

"Michy" wrote:Their eyes have been open for a couple of days, now. And today they seem to be more alert; that is, they are sitting up rather than lying down. (The nest is just high enough that if they are sitting up I can see their heads, but if they're lying down I can't see them).

Since they've hatched I've noticed that mama is absent more than she's around. I guess she has to spend a lot of time, now, foraging for food. The male is almost never around. What a deadbeat dad! :p

He's probably out on the town sharing a few worms with his mates!!!!! :p ;) :D

The chicks are obviously coming along. Have you taken a photo? We saw a finch in our garden perched on our willow tree yesterday and I thought of you!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

BrianPK
Reader

Postby BrianPK » Fri May 20th, 2011, 10:09 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote: he seems to be a Baltimore Oriole..

Isn't reality surprising at times? On this forum we seem to have so much in common with our similar reading interests, similar movies to view,and probably quite a similar outlook on the world in general. The internet has brought people with similar interests so close together. . ."a global village" in fact and then someone goes and mentions a Baltimore Oriole or a grackle no less. Not only have I never seen one of these exotic and wonderfully sounding birds but I haven't even heard of them. The reality is that we ,in fact, live on different worlds with lots in common and yet with fascinating differences. As they say in the movies. . . it's kinda cool :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat May 21st, 2011, 12:30 am

I am fascinated by birds, but have had recurring irritation with them finding their way into my house and pooping all over it. Including grackles, oddly enough. My family are obsessed with hawk-sightings. We go wild when we see a hawk - perched or wheeling, it doesn't matter. We're hawk-whores.

But that is not why I am here.

I had a GREAT day today. I had my first flex day of a new working schedule, and it was beautiful, so I got to spend the afternoon with my mom, antiquing and lunching ... and we went to visit my dad, who resides in a memorial garden these days. It was simply wonderful, and I got to cry on my beautiful momma's shoulder while I held her.

Then I came home and found some heart warming messages from someone I love.

So I suppose I can't bow to the spirit of the thread with one good superlative - but still I had to be glad and share.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

ejays17
Reader

Postby ejays17 » Sat May 21st, 2011, 5:54 am

I've just come back from having my nails done - it's an indulgence I don't do very often, but SLOC bought me a voucher for Christmas/birthday, so I could indulge without feeling "guilty" about spending the money on it :D

And I bought tickets to the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie for my sister's birthday treat. Johnny Depp as a pirate - YAY!!
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat May 21st, 2011, 11:39 am

Oh yes, there's something about hawks isn't there, in fact birds of prey in general. We had a peregrine falcon visit the garden a couple of times last summer; I was transfixed despite the fact that it was devouring some poor little mite at the time.
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat May 21st, 2011, 3:43 pm

Madeleine, yes, there is. I grew up in a suburb JUST this side of rural land - AND swamps - so every time we took a right instead of a left toward town, mom was on the watch for hawks. And we always saw them. She still gets excited about them, and I do too - along with the joy I felt when I used to work right beside the river, and got to see blue heron every single day, and the occasional eagle. Eagles are the rarer sight, but give you that similar thrill to a hawk. I guess you're right, there's a magic and an elegance to birds of prey.

Not a month ago, mom and I were on the phone and a hawk was in her back yard, having it out with a squirrel. The squirrel didn't have too much issue surviving their confrontation, but I don't gather it came out on the winning end, either. Hee. My mom? Is entirely awesome when she's excited about things like this.

For today's contribution to the thread, I'll say the best thing today will be when I get all dressed up after I finish cleaning house, and go out dancing, hopefully surrounded by friends. (The dog might argue the best part of today is that even as I type she is sitting outside in a perfect breeze, in the beautiful sunlight, watching our pleasant neighbors and their dogs go by ... and I would not be prepared to argue much against her point!)
Last edited by DianeL on Sat May 21st, 2011, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun May 22nd, 2011, 1:24 am

My sister and her family are visiting from Kansas for a few weeks. :D

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun May 22nd, 2011, 6:08 am

I just won an auction that I really wanted on Ebay!

For my Lady Jane Grey collection, well duh! :D

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Sun May 22nd, 2011, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

BrianPK
Reader

Postby BrianPK » Mon May 23rd, 2011, 11:12 pm

I've just noticed that despite miserable May weather,my blue geraniums are flowering in a great eye catching drift.I felt immediately better in myself.

Return to “Chat”