Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Year That Changed Everything by Cathy Kelly
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue May 17th, 2011, 9:13 am

We used to get birds nesting in our porch and we can still see the nests. Unfortunately our cats have put them off. We get swallows nesting in our out-building - quite pretty birds.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue May 17th, 2011, 2:25 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:We used to get birds nesting in our porch and we can still see the nests. Unfortunately our cats have put them off. We get swallows nesting in our out-building - quite pretty birds.
This little bird picked the perfect spot for her nest -- it is in a light fixture by my front door, so when she is in the nest she is actually up inside the light fixture, compeltely sheltered from the weather. And I rarely go in and out the front door, so she has very little disturbance. (I haven't been turning on my light at night because I was afraid it might get too hot for her and her eggs, but that's ok, I can live without a porch light for a while :) ). I don't have any cats but even if I did, there's absolutely no way they could get to her nest. Once she is finished with her nest I will clear it out, but I do hope she decides to come back next spring. :)

I don't know what kind of birds they are -- very small and the female is plain gray (naturally), but the male has a white breast and a red head and neck.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Postby Vanessa » Tue May 17th, 2011, 3:03 pm

They sound a bit like swallows. And it seems the sort of place where they'd nest. Don't they sometimes return to the same place the following year?

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue May 17th, 2011, 3:39 pm

No, they aren't swallows because the nest isn't mud (unless there's some variety of swallows who don't build mud nests - ?). You're right about swallows returning to the same place every year. I'm hopinig this little bird will be so happy with the perfect spot she chose that she'll return next year. I have enjoyed watching them.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Postby Vanessa » Tue May 17th, 2011, 4:11 pm

A woodpecker?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue May 17th, 2011, 4:22 pm

No, they're not woodpeckers, either. They're really small birds that have a warbling-type song. Very sweet. :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Postby Vanessa » Tue May 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm

I've had a look through my bird book and I can't see anything similar. It's not some sort of chaffinch/finch? There are house martins, too, but they don't have red heads I don't think.

If you do find out what they are, I'd be interested to know.
Last edited by Vanessa on Tue May 17th, 2011, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue May 17th, 2011, 5:03 pm

I looked up finches and chaffinches on Wikipedia, and none of the pictures match my little birds. So I have no idea what they are. I would love to know, though. Their eggs are a pale aqua color.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue May 17th, 2011, 5:33 pm

I think I've identified them. I belive they are Carpodacus mexicanus, or "house finch." :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Postby Vanessa » Tue May 17th, 2011, 5:46 pm

Glad you've solved the mystery. Finches are pretty little birds. We have a feeder just outside our living room window and like to watch them and I think we've had a few finches.

Return to “Chat”