Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed December 15th, 2010, 6:48 pm

"Michy" wrote:On my way home from work last night I discovered a wonderful little candy shop. I've driven by the sign a million times, but for some reason last night it caught my attention and I decided to find the shop and check it out....

It's part gourmet chocolate shop, part old-time candy shop (remember Idaho Spuds?), part gelato shop. Before I got out the door I had spent $20 on candy! :eek:

How lovely. (thinks someone's going to be over-excited and hyper over the next few days!) :D :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Wed December 15th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Oh, yes, definitely! :) I have a major sweet tooth, so this shop could end up being one of my regular stops. :D

ejays17
Reader

Postby ejays17 » Thu December 16th, 2010, 10:16 am

Finished up all my Christmas shopping today, so I don't have to brave the insanity of shopping-centres the week before Christmas.

Just have to hope that the 2 parcels from my on-line shopping arrive in time, or SLOC & my mum will be getting pretty IOU envelopes under the tree... :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Thu December 16th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Staying home--taking the day off (have vacation time to burn)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Thu December 23rd, 2010, 6:54 pm

Random texting with a friend. Made me smile. And this friend also finds me funny. :)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Elysium
Reader

Postby Elysium » Thu December 23rd, 2010, 7:50 pm

Finished wrapping the presents :)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Thu December 23rd, 2010, 8:27 pm

Long 3 day weekend--we're closing down today.

Update: All the patrons in our division reading room were out before the final closing announcement. Books shelved; the room's clean and tidy for Monday. :)
Last edited by princess garnet on Fri December 24th, 2010, 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat January 1st, 2011, 5:03 pm

Yesterday actually...

On my birthday (28th) I was at home with no presents, no cake, kids getting on my nerves, and just generally feeling down. Turns out my family was conspiring behind my back. My husband's job was to find out my favorite cake (cleverly done by asking what kind of cake I would have liked if he'd bothered to get me one). They didn't give me any clues at all.

Then yesterday the doorbell rang and my parents walked in with a cake my Dad made (German's Chocolate with buttercream pecan frosting), a big present (a stand mixer, which I needed), and even paper plates and plastic forks so there wouldn't be dishes to deal with.

My oldest son made a sign and blew up balloons and even had a game for everyone to play. He wrote my name in runes for me for my prize.

Never had a surprise party before and boy was I surprised! Those sneaky people. :)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sat January 1st, 2011, 5:23 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:Never had a surprise party before and boy was I surprised! Those sneaky people. :)

How wonderful! And belated "Happy Birthday!" :D
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun January 2nd, 2011, 12:44 pm

What a lovely surprise, LH!
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

Return to “Chat”