Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Postby rockygirl » Tue September 28th, 2010, 11:14 pm

"fljustice" wrote:My dad had a stroke Friday and lost the use of his right side, so I'm home in Ohio dealing with everything. The great news is that the doctors believe that, with intensive therapy, he should be able to make a full recovery within a few months and live independently. This is much better than we thought when we brought him to the hospital.

I probably won't be posting a lot for the next few days/weeks?, but I do like checking in occasionally and seeing what the rest of the world is up to. ;)

I'm sorry about your dad. My dad had a stroke two years ago and has made a full recovery. I wish the same for your father.

Best wishes.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue September 28th, 2010, 11:46 pm

Hope the doctors are right and your dad makes a full recovery. :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed September 29th, 2010, 9:13 am

Best wishes to your dad, Faith, for a speedy recovery.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Postby LoobyG » Wed September 29th, 2010, 10:02 am

I'd like to add my best wishes for your dad and family too :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed September 29th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Best wishes Faith for a speedy recovery for your father.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Wed September 29th, 2010, 11:36 pm

ok haven't been on here in awhile so to fill everyone in it might be this way for awhile longer....we bought 5 acres on Grand Lake and we're closing Friday so will be country folk come next week and we adopted 3 blue heeler pups so hands are full however I did make it too a book store closeout sale and managed to only spend $10 and bought close to 30 historical, historical romances...thats it in a very cramped nutshell

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu September 30th, 2010, 1:42 am

I hope your father is doing well and on track to recovery, Faith. Wonderful that the stroke was recognized in time to minimize the damage.

My best thing is that I have distance glasses again, Kaiser got them to me on two-day notice! I left mine in Toledo Cathedral last week when I put on my computer glasses to read the information, and absent-mindedly went on with the wrong lenses. We were caught in a pouring rainstorm when we came out of the cathedral, so I didn't notice the change in vision until we were in the car and well on the way to Granada and it was too late to retrieve them.

And I found frames with almost round lenses. They're ugly, but they are quite renaissance-style, so now I won't have to hide my anachronistic spectacles at faire.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Fri October 1st, 2010, 5:37 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the kind wishes! Dad's in therapy already and making progress. I should be coming home next week, but returning in a month or so when he leaves this facility.

And nona, from one country girl to another, enjoy!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Sun October 3rd, 2010, 6:25 am

I went to my 20 year high school reunion last night! Had a great night catching up with people I hadn't seen for 20 or 22 years. I lost contact with everyone just after school, and was very nervous about going, because of not having seen anyone for so long, and because of a few emotional issues I keep to myself. But it was a great night, and am very glad that I went. I would not have gone if it were not for facebook! At least I had been able to connect a little with people, and I made sure I spoke to everyone that was on facebook.
I heard of a lot of people that didn't go because they had "moved on" in their lifes (even people that still live local), and I wish they had gone, because no one could have been more nervous than me!

Also got a good laugh at an old friend who had a few drinks under her belt and went around telling everyone what she had really thought of them during high school....she got quite a few apologies from people for bad school kid behaviour. She kept saying she was having just the best night!

Return to “Chat”