Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Fractured Winter by Allison Bailliet
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu April 15th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Sorry you've not been well, SPD. Hopefully you are fully recovered now and enjoying your travels.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri April 16th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Hope you're enjoying your trip SPB, you're going to some lovely places. If you're out that way, will you try to get to Hay on Wye, aka booktown?
Currently reading "How to stop time" by Matt Haig & "The Miller's Dance" by Winston Graham

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Fri April 16th, 2010, 6:39 pm

God bless Goldman Sachs. They are giving my book free promos, even though it's not out for another 10 weeks. Katie Couric wanted me on CBS tonight, but blessedly the publicist agreed when I didn't really want to do it. Still, cool to think that this is going to turn out to be more timely than I had even imagined!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri April 16th, 2010, 9:50 pm

That's awesome Chatter! Congratulations!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri April 16th, 2010, 11:54 pm

"Chatterbox" wrote:God bless Goldman Sachs. They are giving my book free promos, even though it's not out for another 10 weeks. Katie Couric wanted me on CBS tonight, but blessedly the publicist agreed when I didn't really want to do it. Still, cool to think that this is going to turn out to be more timely than I had even imagined!

Good lord, Couric wanted to interview you?! I'm impressed!

Congrats!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Sat April 17th, 2010, 1:48 am

Chatterbox, that's HUGE news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS :)
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sat April 17th, 2010, 3:30 am

Congratulations!! And, really? You said, no? Can I ask, why? It's such a huge promotional opportunity for your book. I'm surprised your publicist was so accomodating. Mine at RH would have dragged me there by my last remaining bits of hair, if the opportunity arose.

Hell, if Couric wanted me, I'd walk to NYC from SF! :D
Last edited by cw gortner on Sat April 17th, 2010, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Sat April 17th, 2010, 7:24 am

CW, they were ambivalent. Yes, there was the chance to position me as an expert but (a) I've done almost no TV and had no 'media training' yet; (b) I would have had to be there within 3 hours (with 1.5 inches of grey roots showing...) and (c) most importantly, there is no book to sell yet -- publication date is still 10 weeks away. The publicist asked if I felt "camera ready"; the answer was bluntly no. Since she'd seen me when I dropped off the final edits this morning, after 4 hours sleep and with a major story running elsewhere today (Sat) that hadn't finished being edited yet, she completely understood. Frankly, I think this isn't going anywhere and once the original hullaballoo over "what" passes, there will be more of an interest in "why", which is what's in the book. May still end up doing some stuff later next week pegged to an online column I'll have to write.

Yeah, I didn't expect today to be quite this dramatic. I will have to send thank you notes to Goldman & the SEC. All feels v. weird/bizarre, having toiled in anonymity for decades!

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sat April 17th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Ah, I see. Makes sense.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!

THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Sun April 18th, 2010, 12:00 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Hope you're enjoying your trip SPB, you're going to some lovely places. If you're out that way, will you try to get to Hay on Wye, aka booktown?

Hiya. I did Hay two or three years ago on a similar trip, so I've been trying to take in new areas to me this time round. I did love Hay, of course, and I'm sure I'll go back again. But I've found so many wonderful secondhand book shops in most other little towns. One National Trust place had a great unmanned book shop with very low "suggested" prices marked on the books and an 'honesty box'. I have to confess to helping myself to a huge pile of books and making a reasonable contribution but still very cheap.

Return to “Chat”