Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Now Face to Face by Karleen Koen

amyb
Reader

Now Face to Face by Karleen Koen

Postby amyb » Thu August 28th, 2008, 8:47 pm

A bride at fifteen, widowed at the tender age of twenty, Barbara, Countess Devane, embarks for colonial Virginia financially ruined by the death of her husband in scandalous circumstances. Dressed in mourning as is proper for a woman, she is patronizingly described as a “fragile black butterfly,” but the fragility is deceiving. She makes a place for herself in the new world, takes lovers and friends across political divides, and questions the established traditions of slavery. Facing enemies she never suspected, she must return to England and deal face to face with the problems created by her husband, who haunts her even in death. Back in London, she quickly finds herself pulled into Jacobite plotting, and the treachery of powerful men suddenly threatens her family, her friends—and a new love.

Now Face to Face sweeps readers from eighteenth-century America to London and brings both worlds to vivid life. It is a magnificent evocation of an era, from the plantations of Virginia to Hanoverian England.

For me, with movies, the sequels are never better than the original. In my opinion, the same can be said for Now Face to Face, which is the sequel for Through a Glass Darkly. Not to say that I did not enjoy it and am not happy that I read it, but it wasn’t quite up there with the TAGD.

After the death of her husband, Barbara is beside herself with grief. Her grandmother, the Duchess of Tamworth, offers her the chance to go to Colonial Virginia to check out her newly acquired tobacco plantation. We follow Barbara to the new world where she learns all she can about the tobacco farming and we get to meet some new and interesting characters, my favorite being Colonel Perry. Barbara eventually returns to England after receiving some letters from back home that there are new adventures afoot. She returns to England and finds herself in the midst of Jacobite investigations.

I think I would have liked this book more had it not been for the ending. The end scene was about one of supporting characters, not Barbara. In turn, I did not have that sense of “closure” so to say. I always like how a book wraps up everything nice and neat for you at the end. And after finishing the book, you walk away content, knowing your new friend will be well. I didn’t have that with this and it was a little disappointing.

Another thing that bothered me was that there were a lot of things not followed up on or worked out…a lot of open issues…which leads me to believe that that there may be another sequel?!

Overall: 4/5

Song: Alive by Pearl Jam

More wisdom from the Duchess of Tamworth: “Keep one’s eyes upon the goal desired, not upon the delays and impediments”

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 12:45 pm

I have been meaning to read this series at some point.

Kailana
Reader

Postby Kailana » Sat August 30th, 2008, 7:46 pm

I think I have all of them, so you'd think I had read at least one of them by now.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat August 30th, 2008, 9:17 pm

I enjoyed this very much as well, but the ending just left me hanging wanting more -- I wanted to know what happened to you know who from his disappearance until the sudden return. Sequel please.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sun September 2nd, 2012, 12:44 pm

First, I'd give this one 3 1/2 stars on Goodreads (I gave it 4) if I could because I did not like the ending...not what happened at the ending, but how it was constructed and what characters were actually in the ending. I do think protagonists should be in the ending and I would have appreciated some further explanation of some plot resolutions. With that being said, I did enjoy this book which tells what happens to Barbara Devane and other characters after "Through A Glass Darkly." The reader is introduced to some additional characters and the Jacobite cause hovers over the plot. At the end of "Through A Glass Darkly," Barbara is going off to the colony of Virginia. It was interesting to see her in such a different setting and how she coped with it. Some of the plot is set in the Virginia colonial capital Williamsburg and I especially liked those parts because I have a connection. My son in a graduate of The College of William and Mary (the "college" mentioned in the novel and the second oldest university in the USA), so I have spent a lot of time there. There is a colonial village contiguous with the college campus with people depicting life as it was. Many of the buildings are original. It was easy to place myself in that part of the plot. I wonder if the author plans a third book.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sun September 2nd, 2012, 12:45 pm

"Misfit" wrote:I enjoyed this very much as well, but the ending just left me hanging wanting more -- I wanted to know what happened to you know who from his disappearance until the sudden return. Sequel please.

Very much agreed! The ending was written as if there would be a sequel.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun September 2nd, 2012, 1:07 pm

"Susan" wrote:Very much agreed! The ending was written as if there would be a sequel.

What's interesting is when I first read this book a couple of years ago right on the tail of TAGD I loved it (except the ending which leaves you wanting more). Literally inhaled it. I reread it both about a year or so ago and still loved TAGD, but was very disappointed in NFTF, enough so that I rewrote my review and downgraded the rating. I would definitely read the next book if she ever gets around to writing it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sun September 2nd, 2012, 1:15 pm

"Misfit" wrote:What's interesting is when I first read this book a couple of years ago right on the tail of TAGD I loved it (except the ending which leaves you wanting more). Literally inhaled it. I reread it both about a year or so ago and still loved TAGD, but was very disappointed in NFTF, enough so that I rewrote my review and downgraded the rating. I would definitely read the next book if she ever gets around to writing it.

I just read your Goodreads review and I can understand your points. Because I had a connection to the Virginia setting (my son never left Virginia after college although he lives near Washington, DC now), I did like that part. I would also read a book three. I have the novel about Barbara's grandmother, but I did not want to go straight into it. Perhaps it will be my next read. School starts this week and my reading time will be cut, so I will have to see what I feel like reading.
Last edited by Susan on Sun September 2nd, 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”