Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Free Books

Retired Threads
michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:39 am

Hi Tanzanite,

I believe they're giving away hardcover copies of The Heretic Queen. But honestly, for all reviewers on this forum, if you email an author's publicist the house will almost always send a book your way. I can't think of a single instance where a reviewer/blogger has emailed my publicist and they haven't received a book for review unless the galleys ran out (in which case, they would be put on the finished book list to receive a hardcover copy). Of course, this doesn't just apply to Crown, but to all houses.

The thing is, most people don't want to be bothered going around emailing publicists. But Kimber An, who runs a blog called Star Captain's Daughter, is a publicist-emailer-extraordinaire. I've lost count of the number of galleys she's received this way: fantasies, sci-fis, historical fictions, YA books...

And JaneConsumer: I've emailed Crown about including an auto-respond message.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:43 am

Wow. I didnt know this at all! I so need to start working on this. I mean..how sweet is that. :eek:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Fri August 29th, 2008, 4:21 am

Hee hee. All it takes is an email. It especially helps when a reviewer mentions posting their reviews (good or bad) all across the web (assuming it's true!).

And if you really want to cut down on the time from your book request to your book arrival, mention being (but only if you are!) one of the top Amazon reviewers and that you intend to review the book on Amazon or another site (not a blog) that's dedicated to reviews. This helps because a publicist is only authorized to send books to reviewers whose write-ups appear in magazines/newspapers/online sites dedicated to reviews. If you're a blogger, then the publicist has to send your request to the marketing department (don't ask) and get the okay from them. Reviewers and bloggers are categorized differently, and each department gets their own number of books to hand out.
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 4:48 am

I'm not a top reviewer on Amazon. I'm just a vine member now. Still, thats good information to have, cause I'm sure a lot of people here are top reviewers.

Virgulina
Scribbler

Postby Virgulina » Fri August 29th, 2008, 9:22 am

Do you know if this is international or just available to the US?

Ana

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Fri August 29th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Actually Divia, I'm sure a Vine Member would work just as well.

And Ana, I believe this is international. It certainly doesn't hurt to try. I know if my British editor (since she doubles as a publicist) gets emails requesting books she'll send them out. Of course, this is all for now. If people (who aren't reviewers) start abusing the system it all may change.

But... something else publicists are sometimes willing to do is send free books to contest winners if you email them beforehand and ask if they're willing to participate.

Edited to say: Ana, if you were asking about the ReadItForward program, I honestly don't know. I will email and find out.
Last edited by michellemoran on Sat September 6th, 2008, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri September 5th, 2008, 3:33 pm

so how exactly does it work?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Fri September 5th, 2008, 9:27 pm

"michellemoran" wrote:Actually Divia, I'm sure a Vine Member would work just as well.

And Ana, I believe this is international. It certainly doesn't hurt to try. I know if my British editor (since she doubles as a publicist) gets emails requesting books she'll send them out. Of course, this is all for now. If people (who aren't reviewers) start abusing the system it all may change.

But... something else publicists are sometimes willing to do is send free books to contest winners if you email them beforehand and ask if they're willing to participate.

Interesting that this might be international. I just assumed that it would be US only.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri September 5th, 2008, 9:32 pm

I thought it was US only, but that would be cool if it wasnt.

I'll have to use the vine thing..maybe it will get me books.

BTW still no email in my mailbox. I guess it takes aw hile.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Sat September 6th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Nona, I believe you email them at readitforward@randomhouse.com. Include your mailing address and the book you'd like and they will send out the book to the first (insert number here) reviewers who query.

I asked Shawn Nicholls, who is in charge of online marketing at Crown, if he could rework the site so that people get automated email responses saying that their request has gone through. It would also be nice to have a firm yes or no, so people know if a book is coming.

Either way, it's worth a shot! I've recommended these improvements to the site. Whether they're made or not will likely depend on how committed Crown is to this idea or whether this was some "higher-ups" pet project which got passed down to others who are less enthused. Which, let's face it, happens in business all the time. Then things get forgotten about and disappear... Hopefully, this won't be one of them!
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Return to “Archives”