Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alison Weir

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Fri August 29th, 2008, 1:47 am

"Melisende" wrote:Misfit,

I was going to ask, hadn't Weir already published a book on Katehrine Swinford?? I am positive I have been passing it over in my local library for a good few months now.

Melisende, that's the mystery. Is this a "new" version of the one she's already published (nf?) or a HF version of same story? I was sure it was something new until I went to her website. Same book I'm afraid. I was hoping for an HF. Sigh.....

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Mistress of the Monarchy

Postby Misfit » Fri September 12th, 2008, 4:09 pm

Well it just showed up on my holds list at the library so it looks like they've decided to buy it. Woohoo, although it's a few months out till I can get it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon November 17th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Just spotted this on Amazon UK.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon November 17th, 2008, 9:42 pm

eh, not my thing. I'm tired of Elizabeth and Tudor stuff.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Mon November 17th, 2008, 10:44 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Melisende, that's the mystery. Is this a "new" version of the one she's already published (nf?) or a HF version of same story? I was sure it was something new until I went to her website. Same book I'm afraid. I was hoping for an HF. Sigh.....

Yes, this is the American, Ballantine Books, version of her already-published UK book, with a new title and cover. She already did one on Elizabeth, too, so her "Elizabeth The Queen" will probably be more in the vein of "Henry VIII: The King and His Court" than a straight biography, in that she'll explore certain aspects of how Elizabeth created her image, solidified her reign, etc.

Interesting, because I heard her next hf will be a continuation of Elizabeth's story, started in "The Lady Elizabeth."
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon November 17th, 2008, 10:51 pm

"cw gortner" wrote:Yes, this is the American, Ballantine Books, version of her already-published UK book, with a new title and cover. She already did one on Elizabeth, too, so her "Elizabeth The Queen" will probably be more in the vein of "Henry VIII: The King and His Court" than a straight biography, in that she'll explore certain aspects of how Elizabeth created her image, solidified her reign, etc.

Interesting, because I heard her next hf will be a continuation of Elizabeth's story, started in "The Lady Elizabeth."

Why do they go and change the title and cover when it's the same damn book?

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Mon November 17th, 2008, 11:15 pm

It's a marketing decision. I know, for those of us who are very familiar with the genre and history in general, it can be annoying and confusing; but bear in mind that publishers seek to appeal to the widest possible target audience. The UK version definitely speaks to people better versed in UK history (the mention of John of Gaunt, for example, in the subtitle) while "Mistress to the Monarchy" speaks to a US fan base very familiar with Katherine herself, thanks to Anya Seton.

In Germany, my book title was changed to "The Tears of the Queen." I have no idea why but I assume they know their readers better than I do.

Still, having gotten over-enthusiastic and bought the same book twice due to this very phenomenon, I completely understand the frustration. Until I really started investigating these things, I bought several US versions of books I thought were new, only to discover I'd already sprung for the UK releases when they were first published.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!

THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Mon November 17th, 2008, 11:41 pm

It's a puzzle to me why UK and US versions of books often have different tiles and covers, and even, apparently, in some cases, actual content. Are our tastes so very different?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue November 18th, 2008, 1:20 am

"annis" wrote:It's a puzzle to me why UK and US versions of books often have different tiles and covers, and even, apparently, in some cases, actual content. Are our tastes so very different?

Good question. Most times I like the UK covers better than what we get here in the states.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun February 1st, 2009, 6:16 am

According to her website, Alison Weir will be writing a sequel to the novel "The Lady Elizabeth". I really enjoyed that book so I'm looking forward to seeing how she writes more of Elizabeth's story.

Also her next non-fiction book "The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn", will be published in the UK on 1st October 2009, and in the USA in December.

And she's working on a novel about Eleanor of Aquitaine and Henry II, which is scheduled for publication in the spring of 2010.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “By Author”