Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

March 2009 - What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed March 18th, 2009, 9:06 pm

Currently reading Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed March 18th, 2009, 10:19 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]Currently reading Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree.[/quote]

Stewart may have written better books, but that one has always been my favorite of her romantic suspense novels.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu March 19th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Finally got done with Virginia Henley's latest historical, The Decadent Duke. While I really like the fact that she uses real people and events in her novels, I wish she'd tone down the sex a bit and not have her characters speaking in so much modern tones -- it would improve her books so much more. :mad:

Not sure what's next. Maybe some science fiction or something...

TLee
Reader

Post by TLee » Thu March 19th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Just started The Aviary Gate by Katie Hickman and it has me hooked already!

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu March 19th, 2009, 9:53 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Finally got done with Virginia Henley's latest historical, The Decadent Duke. While I really like the fact that she uses real people and events in her novels, I wish she'd tone down the sex a bit and not have her characters speaking in so much modern tones -- it would improve her books so much more. :mad:

Not sure what's next. Maybe some science fiction or something...[/quote]

In one of her romances, Henley has Edward I's daughter Joan of Acre chiding her friend because the friend hasn't "gone all the way." Yup, that's the phrase she used.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu March 19th, 2009, 10:22 pm

[quote=""TLee""]Just started The Aviary Gate by Katie Hickman and it has me hooked already![/quote]

I've just read and really enjoyed that one. I'm doing a couple of joint library events with Katie Hickman in London in April, so I'm looking forward to meeting with her. :)

Currently reading The Ship Wives by H.A. Douglas. It's a Lulu novel written by a Regia Anglorum friend. The tribulations of a Viking wife while her husband is away at sea.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Scrapcat
Scribbler

Post by Scrapcat » Fri March 20th, 2009, 1:35 am

Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman. Absolutely wonderful!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri March 20th, 2009, 6:11 am

I've finished "Promises In Death" by J.D Robb, another good entry in the series but not one of my faves.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Fri March 20th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Just finished Shadow Patriots by Lucia St. Clair Robson, which I really, really enjoyed - both the story and the writing. Instead of the famous names and the famous battles, the main characters are ordinary people leading extraordinary lives, a novel about the Culper spy ring that supplied General George Washington with the intelligence he so desperately needed.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri March 20th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Just finished A Place Beyond Courage; an excellent read from EC. I will go to the thread and ask a few questions.

Not sure what to read next; I have a few more Chadwick books, but I really want to save them for our trip. Perhaps its time to be away from HF for a bit.

Return to “Archives”