Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

March 2009 - What are you reading?

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon March 16th, 2009, 7:23 pm

[quote=""EC2""]The Bronze Horseman - is on my second try TBR. I found the speak in it Americanised and modern - as in I couldn't imagine Russians speaking in the sort of 'voice' the narrator was using. I got so irritated I wall-banged it on the first attempt. But since everyone says it's so good, either I'm the dissenting voice in the wilderness or I need to give it another go - which is why it's still awaiting a second effort.[/quote]

I do know a couple of people who don't like it, but not many! ;) :D
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon March 16th, 2009, 10:03 pm

I'm reading some nonfiction right now: The Last Days of the Romanovs, by Helen Rappaport, about the last two weeks-ish of the lives of the family. It's good so far, though for some reason the author keeps misspelling Tsarevich Alexei's name.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon March 16th, 2009, 11:03 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]I'm reading some nonfiction right now: The Last Days of the Romanovs, by Helen Rappaport, about the last two weeks-ish of the lives of the family. It's good so far, though for some reason the author keeps misspelling Tsarevich Alexei's name.[/quote]

I suspect because its cyrrillic, there might be a few variations? (I love it when someone asks me how to spell Chanukah. Um, which version?)

Have you read Nicolas and Alexandria by Robert Massie. Read like a novel to me, excellent read (that had me sobbing at the end)

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue March 17th, 2009, 12:42 am

Ash....Have you ever seen the 1971 film "Nicolas and Alexandria"?....I'm not student of Late Russian History; but I did enjoy the film and I'm sure there are scads of inaccuracies and such.....The acting is outstanding, the sets, costumes, cinema photography....won man Oscars.....A bit long but really worth a watch; since you finished the N &A book....quite a different approach to Revolutionary Russia than "DR. Zhivago".....I should stop...I feel I'm skating on thin ice when it comes to Russia.....

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue March 17th, 2009, 12:44 am

[quote=""Ash""]Have you read Nicolas and Alexandria by Robert Massie. Read like a novel to me, excellent read (that had me sobbing at the end)[/quote]

I agree with you!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue March 17th, 2009, 11:27 pm

I've finished "Laid To Rest In California: A Guide to the Cemeteries and Grave Sites of the Rich and Famous" by Patricia Brooks & Jonathan Brooks. Overall a good book but with some obvious mistakes which is annoying.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed March 18th, 2009, 1:30 am

I just started American Rust by Philip Meyer, an ARC I have had floating around for a while.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed March 18th, 2009, 9:58 am

Night of Flames by Douglas Jacobson and Superior Saturday by Garth Nix.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed March 18th, 2009, 2:27 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Ash....Have you ever seen the 1971 film "Nicolas and Alexandria"?..[/quote]

I haven't, but now you have me very curious!

Now reading Place Beyond Courage, liking it so far.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed March 18th, 2009, 6:54 pm

The Sisters Who Would Be Queen by Leanda de Lisle.

Return to “Archives”