Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

March 2009 - What are you reading?

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon March 16th, 2009, 9:15 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Nope, first time. Very enjoyable, and darned hard to put down.[/quote]

Very hard to put down is right! When I read this book I read all night until 6 o''clock in the morning, called in sick (shh, don't tell anyone) and then at about 4 o'clock I went and bought the second book and read that in a night as well. I went to work that next day but I was like a complete zombie!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 16th, 2009, 1:34 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Very hard to put down is right! When I read this book I read all night until 6 o''clock in the morning, called in sick (shh, don't tell anyone) and then at about 4 o'clock I went and bought the second book and read that in a night as well. I went to work that next day but I was like a complete zombie![/quote]

He, that's pretty bad having to call in sick. :D :D :D

Even with a couple of nit-picky flaws in the writing, its still very very good. I'm going to have to get out to the store and the gym before I pick it up again. No housework again today I'm afraid...
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon March 16th, 2009, 2:23 pm

Chuck, The Burnished Blade was the first historical novel I ever bought for myself as a 'grown up' (guess I was around 13 or 14!) with a book token gift.

The Bronze Horseman - is on my second try TBR. I found the speak in it Americanised and modern - as in I couldn't imagine Russians speaking in the sort of 'voice' the narrator was using. I got so irritated I wall-banged it on the first attempt. But since everyone says it's so good, either I'm the dissenting voice in the wilderness or I need to give it another go - which is why it's still awaiting a second effort.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon March 16th, 2009, 3:59 pm

[quote=""EC2""] The Bronze Horseman - is on my second try TBR. I found the speak in it Americanised and modern - as in I couldn't imagine Russians speaking in the sort of 'voice' the narrator was using. I got so irritated I wall-banged it on the first attempt. But since everyone says it's so good, either I'm the dissenting voice in the wilderness or I need to give it another go - which is why it's still awaiting a second effort.[/quote]

Gasp! Sacrilege! EC, how could you!?! :D :p :D :p :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon March 16th, 2009, 4:02 pm

[quote=""LCW""]Gasp! Sacrilege! EC, how could you!?! :D :p :D :p :D [/quote]

I know, I know. ;) That's what everyone says. Perhaps I was having the reading mullygrubs that week. :rolleyes:
I may have wall-banged but I didn't dump, so it's still there awaiting its second chance! I guess you lot will just have to persuade me to pick it up again! :D
Les proz e les vassals

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon March 16th, 2009, 4:11 pm

[quote=""EC2""] I guess you lot will just have to persuade me to pick it up again! :D [/quote]

I think we can manage that! LOL!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon March 16th, 2009, 4:13 pm

I'm just about to start The Harmony Silk Factory by Tash Aw.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon March 16th, 2009, 4:15 pm

[quote=""LCW""]I think we can manage that! LOL![/quote]

I suspect so! :D
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 16th, 2009, 4:59 pm

[quote=""EC2""]The Bronze Horseman - is on my second try TBR. I found the speak in it Americanised and modern - as in I couldn't imagine Russians speaking in the sort of 'voice' the narrator was using. I got so irritated I wall-banged it on the first attempt. But since everyone says it's so good, either I'm the dissenting voice in the wilderness or I need to give it another go - which is why it's still awaiting a second effort.[/quote]

That is one of my minor nit-picks (will get into it when I write a review), but the story is compelling enough for me that I was willing to look the other way. I'll detail more when I finish and write a review.

Although I must say Alexander is quite a hottie. Ooooh, when he tended Tatiana's wounds after the bomb attack. Sigh.....

Must get off the PC now and back to the book, its payola time :D :D :) :o
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

leehow
Reader

Post by leehow » Mon March 16th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Blood And Honey by Graham Hurley

Return to “Archives”