Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

March 2009 - What are you reading?

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri March 13th, 2009, 8:36 am

Such a great series!

I am now reading Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri March 13th, 2009, 9:39 am

[quote=""annis""]Vanessa, you asked me earlier what i thought of Martin Davies' "Unicorn Road". i found it a haunting medieval tale, and I'll definitely be hunting out the "Conjuror's Bird"
I've posted a review of "Unicorn Road" at Margaret's HNI site. I'll add the link if you're interested.
http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Unicorn-Road.html[/quote]

Thanks for that, Annis - glad you enjoyed it so much. That's very encouraging. Hope you enjoy the Conjuror's Bird when you get your hands on it!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri March 13th, 2009, 1:52 pm

[quote=""EC2""]A three year old who can embroider and think emotionally like an adult and put timescale into context? [/quote]

This is a pet peeve of mine, and will turn me off quickly!

I'm suffering from too many choices in the TBR. Not sure what I want to read next!

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Fri March 13th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Just started reading Rebellion by Nora Roberts. Her storylines are really good yet her constant jumps in POV can be irritating at times. Still, this started off well enough. Will see... :)

Then I have four historical romances lined up to read. Ahhh many long evening baths methinks.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri March 13th, 2009, 5:52 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]This is a pet peeve of mine, and will turn me off quickly!

[/quote]

I wondered if Alison Weir has children - or if she does how long ago etc.
I can understand some highly precocious and intelligent 3 yr olds being able to pick up language swiftly and if inculcated into the adult world, to be in advance of their years - but however bright you are up top, you are not going to have the emotional concepts of an adult or to sit there thinking it's ages since you've seen your mother - last time was at so and so, X number of months back. Nor are you going to be adept at that stage in your life to be able to do embroidery stitches and become accomplished. Gads, it's a struggle for five year olds to tie their own show laces, let alone do perfect embroidery with a weeny needle, and Elizabeth at this stage is only 3 years old! :eek: :eek: Sorry, but no can suspend disbelief! One for the wall!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri March 13th, 2009, 5:53 pm

If I remember correctly I believe she has a son and a daughter but it's been a few years since she told me.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri March 13th, 2009, 8:48 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I wondered if Alison Weir has children - or if she does how long ago etc.
I can understand some highly precocious and intelligent 3 yr olds being able to pick up language swiftly and if inculcated into the adult world, to be in advance of their years - but however bright you are up top, you are not going to have the emotional concepts of an adult or to sit there thinking it's ages since you've seen your mother - last time was at so and so, X number of months back. Nor are you going to be adept at that stage in your life to be able to do embroidery stitches and become accomplished. Gads, it's a struggle for five year olds to tie their own show laces, let alone do perfect embroidery with a weeny needle, and Elizabeth at this stage is only 3 years old! :eek: :eek: Sorry, but no can suspend disbelief! One for the wall![/quote]

This bothered me as well. Once I got past that, then there was also one other thing that bothered me too, but other than that it was a better written book than Innocent Traitor IMO

Now I am reading The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
Last edited by diamondlil on Fri March 13th, 2009, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri March 13th, 2009, 9:47 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]This bothered me as well. Once I got past that, then there was also one other thing that bothered me too, but other than that it was a better written book than Innocent Traitor IMO
I don't think I'll be picking up IT after this either ;)
Now I am reading The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
[/quote]

I've heard of that one. Let us know what it's like.

I'm still very much enjoying The Mysteries of Glass by Sue Gee.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

pmastine

Post by pmastine » Sat March 14th, 2009, 2:33 am

I am currently reading TERRA INCOGNITA, by Ruth Downie. Just bought AGINCOURT, by Bernard Cornwell.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sat March 14th, 2009, 2:38 am

After reviewing Hand of Isis by Jo Graham, I devoured The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen. Creepy story set in 1830s Boston, with an interesting modern-day secondary storyline that ties into the past. I rarely read thrillers and I really enjoyed this one. The details of the horrors of medicine at the time are not for the faint of heart.

Next up: Some research reading and The Romanov Prophecy By Steve Berry. I'm in a thriller mood, I guess.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Archives”