Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Day Job and the Craft

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun March 1st, 2009, 12:12 am

[quote=""Richard""]Wow, Divia! Three books is impressive, especially with that schedule. My wife is an adult reference librarian here in Albany, so I very much respect the librarian mojo for writing. I could not have written my book without her help.[/quote]

Trust me I didnt write the three books this year. That would be impressive. :D One is nearly 5 years old! :o
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun March 1st, 2009, 2:49 pm

my day job is a student of spanish, which has helped my evita book.

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 9:07 am

EC beat me by four years - I remember making up proper stories about 7! I also wrote a short novel at 12 (Celtic fantasy, what a surprise) I didn't really do any jobs that directly fed into my writing, more that I made choices that helped support becoming an author. I studied archaeology at college even though there was no expectation in Australia it would lead to a job, but it gave me my grounding on the Celts, plus research skills. I worked on a gold mine in the desert driving 50 ton tip trucks, purely to pay my way through university and finish my degree. After travel, I did a second degree in PR and ended up shortly after that working as a freelance business writer. I personally did not find that doing all the PR writing for businesses helped my fiction writing, but it was a day job I did not hate - and it kept me close to writing. And much more importantly, it meant I did not have to work full-time, which gave me the space to start my first novel. Although I made all those choices before I consciously decided to be an author, when I look back, every step was carefully building the skills and circumstances I needed to realize my dream.
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 7:23 pm

So if none of the choices you make in your life lead you to realising your dream, does that mean you've chosen the wrong dream?

Richard
Reader

Post by Richard » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 7:36 pm

[quote=""MLE""]Then came the llamas...[/quote]

Somebody needs to lead off a chapter with this line!

MLE, excellent post and thanks for adding to the discussion!
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 9:06 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]So if none of the choices you make in your life lead you to realising your dream, does that mean you've chosen the wrong dream?[/quote]

Nooo! Because sometimes you reach "your dream" only to find out it's not all it's cooked up to be and things can still suck :) ... and dreams change as you go through life so you're always looking at another one... and I'm starting to think all this striving for dreams is missing the point anyway and it's just about living and being happy with what's around you. And because you're not far through your life yet! :D
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Richard
Reader

Post by Richard » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 10:53 pm

Dreams are wonderful. My wife often makes fun of me for revealing a new life-long dream every other week or so. The most recent was to go rabbit-hunting. I was informed in no uncertain terms that I would have to cook and eat in the field, as the family kitchen would not be used to process Mister Bunny. I think this one will have to wait indefinitely.
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 1:34 pm

Well you never know. You might meet a hunter in the future who'd be willing to have you along. Eating it and thinking about it once being a nice furry bunny is simply mind over matter. :p I know this as I speak from experience.
Last edited by Rowan on Tue March 3rd, 2009, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To amend my poking out tongue. :)

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Post by stu1883 » Tue April 21st, 2009, 5:24 pm

I've had lots of day jobs in the past.......mortgage admin, mortgage adviser, headhunter and now I work as a community support worker on a part time basis.

I have an ongoing health condition called fibromyalgia which limits my mobility. It is that what made me determined to write, if I had to live with something that impacts on my life then would compensate by doing something I always desired.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed April 22nd, 2009, 3:03 pm

Good for you Stu! My mother and husband have Fibro. Not a fun condition.

Return to “The Craft of Writing”