Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction with Witches

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat October 4th, 2008, 1:44 am

oohhh That does look good. Thanks for the heads up :) Went on the wishlist!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Postby Rowan » Mon October 6th, 2008, 7:45 pm

You know, I tried reading The Witching Hour and just couldn't get into it. This was in the last year or so. It was too... I dunno... oppressive.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon October 6th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Oppressive, yes thats a good word. I agree with that.

There just seemed to be a whole lot of information crammed into the pages and it made my head spin. Thats me though. I dunno about everyone else!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Outcasts of Time by Ian Mortimer
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu October 30th, 2008, 6:16 pm

It's not HF, but the Stonewylde series by Kit Berry is probably a good one for this thread, it sort of relates to it. I've heard great things about it - I haven't read them but guess where they are!! On my TBR pile! :rolleyes:
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri October 31st, 2008, 12:25 pm

thanks for the info they both look really good and now on my tbr stack.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Fri October 31st, 2008, 8:04 pm

Erika Mailman, author of The Witches Trinity has just done a guest post for us at Historical Tapestry about why she loves writing about all things witchy.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 2:34 pm

"Rowan" wrote:Okay I combined the list of witch and pagan HF in one list. Maybe you or someone else can redirect some of these titles.

• Speaks the Nightbird, Roger McCammon

Speaks the Nightbird was written by Robert McCammon and has a sequel titled The Queen of Bedlam. I've read Nightbird just once but will most definitely read it again. It's set in South Carolina in 1699 which, of course, is what first grabbed my attention. It's an excellent tale and I encourage you all to check it out. It's rather like a mystery woven within intense psychological elements.

Here's a link to the novel on his website:

http://www.robertmccammon.com/novels/speaks_the_nightbird.html
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Hunter
Scribbler

Postby Hunter » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 5:21 pm

"Leyland" wrote:Speaks the Nightbird was written by Robert McCammon and has a sequel titled The Queen of Bedlam. I've read Nightbird just once but will most definitely read it again. It's set in South Carolina in 1699 which, of course, is what first grabbed my attention. It's an excellent tale and I encourage you all to check it out. It's rather like a mystery woven within intense psychological elements.

Here's a link to the novel on his website:

http://www.robertmccammon.com/novels/speaks_the_nightbird.html

You can find copies of both Speaks the Nightbird and The Queen of Bedlam for only $4.99 and $5.99 from BookCloseouts.com. A great price for those of you who've never read McCammon before.

Hunter

aessea1001
Scribbler

Postby aessea1001 » Sun November 9th, 2008, 11:06 pm

"tsjmom" wrote:I'm not too familiar with books about witches, but there was a blurb in the WSJ today mentioning two that may be of interest: The Lace Reader, and another brand new one (sorry, the name escapes me). I do know it's written by a female author whose last name is Kent, and it's actually about one of her ancestors who was labeled a witch in the Salem trials. HTH.

I think you're thinking of Kathleen Kent's "The Heretic's Daughter". I've read it and it was excellent. :cool:

pixiedust
Scribbler

Postby pixiedust » Tue November 11th, 2008, 1:07 pm

"aessea1001" wrote:I think you're thinking of Kathleen Kent's "The Heretic's Daughter". I've read it and it was excellent. :cool:

I put in a request for The Heretic's Daughter with my library. Glad to see it's an excellent book. It was reviewed in a local publication called Bluffs and Bayous.

My husband's ancestors are part of the Salem Witch Trials. Interesting genealogy!

Return to “General Discussion”