Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction with Witches

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:01 pm

what about HF on Salem Witch trials?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:31 am

This is one I put on the old HFF , so i'll add it back here:

Ann Victoria Roberts
"Dagger Lane"

It's about seventeenth century English witch hunts. It's set in the present. Natasha, a young author estranged from her husband is staying in a rather isolated old house while she writes her novel. However it appears that another woman altogether is telling the story--

I saw an article not long ago about "The Lace Reader", which has had good reviews, and sounds a bit different. The author has the unusual name of Brunonia Barry.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:09 am

The Lace Reader is very different, and well worth reading if you like quirky characters and a multi-layered storyline with a puzzle at its center. But although it gave me an excellent picture of contemporary Salem and how the town is dealing with its own sort of witch craze, it really isn't about lace, and it's not historical fiction at all. There are witches in it, of the modern sort.

As a former resident of the Boston area, I had to laugh when I read the author's blog - she wrote a posting about New Englanders' sarcasm and self-effacing humor, and how her foreign translators are having a hard time getting those sentiments across in other languages.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Sycamore Gap by L J Ross & The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun September 21st, 2008, 11:41 am

Barbara Erskine wrote a book a few years ago called "Hiding from the Light", which is set partly in the present and partly back in the 17th century at the time of the Witchfinder General, Matthew Hopkin, and combines his story with the tale of someone in the present day who is descended from those witches, plus a few ghosts as well!

there's also Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches Trilogy, comprising "The Witching Hour", "Lasher" and "Taltos". It tells of the Mayfair family in New Orleans, who can trace their family right back to Celtic times, and how each generation has a designated witch, who has a demonic spirit, Lasher, who watches over her (and in one case, him). It starts in the present day with the 13th witch, who has moved to San Francisco to try to escape her background, but realises that she can't avoid who she really is, as well as her family legacy. It's a bit more in the horror genre really, and it's quite spooky too!

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:00 pm

yes I agree Mayfair witches are good reads, isn;t there a third book?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Sycamore Gap by L J Ross & The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 10:50 am

"nona" wrote:yes I agree Mayfair witches are good reads, isn;t there a third book?

Yes Taltos is the 3rd book, set in the present day and I think it fizzled out a bit towards the end so possibly the weakest of the three, but still worth reading. I remember there's a wonderful description of a flooded house which was absolutely mesmerising.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 3:22 pm

"annis" wrote:This is one I put on the old HFF , so i'll add it back here: Ann Victoria Roberts "Dagger Lane"

Looks good! Thanks for adding it back - I've just put in an order through Amazon from a vendor in London and will add it to the TBR warehouse when received.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 3:28 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Barbara Erskine wrote a book a few years ago called "Hiding from the Light", which is set partly in the present and partly back in the 17th century at the time of the Witchfinder General, Matthew Hopkin, and combines his story with the tale of someone in the present day who is descended from those witches, plus a few ghosts as well!

I really enjoyed this story and have it on my re-read shelf. I liked Erskine's characterization more than usual in this book, for some odd reason.

"Madeleine" wrote:there's also Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches Trilogy, comprising "The Witching Hour", "Lasher" and "Taltos".

I read The Witching Hour in 1993 and was fascinated and really into it. I read the next two and didn't care for them all that much. Rice gets really really strange to me at times!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 8:32 pm

I tried to read the witching hour but couldnt get into it. Iw onder if I should try now that I am older
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 12:53 am

I've read taltos years ago I must not have realized it was a series though, is the Myfair Witches and Lasher set in current times or is it back and forth?

Return to “General Discussion”