Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Maypoles, etc.

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sun March 1st, 2009, 9:29 pm

I'm going to backpedal now! If Wikipedia is correct, the Giant can't be traced back to Medieval times at all.. the hill is mentioned in manuscripts but not the giant. the first mention of it is in the late 17th Century.
One theory is that it was meant to be a parody of Oliver Cromwell who was nicknamed England's Hercules, another theory says it represents a Danish giant who according to folklore tried to invade from the South. Hmmm, perhaps it's not pagan at all then.
Last edited by Perdita on Sun March 1st, 2009, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Sun March 1st, 2009, 9:54 pm

here

is an interesting link which discusses some of the stories surrounding the giant. There's a reference to a medieval maypole as well.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 8:58 am

For the record, since my book got mixed up with this, I don't use maypoles, mummers or anything like that and pass it off as "Celtic"! I do have my people respecting the four festivals of Beltaine, Samhain etc, but this is documented from many sources. As to exactly what they do there - some people in the Scottish highlands in the 19th century were still celebrating Beltaine (roughly May day) and contemporary sources said they kindled a "needfire" (one without a tinderbox) and used that to relight all the hearths, plus they did drive cattle between bonfires to purify them. This did not make the church happy and is obviously pre-Christian. The other more spiritual experiences my characters go through at these festivals are just my interpretation of what could have happened.

It's a very murky area, and everyone is probably right. The evidence is good now that the same populations have been in place in the UK since the year dot, therefore it is possible that memories / ideas / aspects of rites have continued in tiny ways even if not consciously. But the UK has also been subject to influxes of new ideas and contact with far flung cultures, so that's all going to get mixed up, too. "Culture" is ever changing.
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 10:57 am

I have no problem accepting that as it had been going on pretty much continuously.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”