Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Should I Finish Reading?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Should I Finish Reading?

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue February 24th, 2009, 6:12 am

Ok so last April I preordered the new book "The Complete X-Files" a look at the series and the movies, it was going to be my birthday present from my mom. My birthday is in August but the book got delayed and didn't come out till Nov.

It looked great, loads of images. I started reading it and unfortunately the writing had a lot to be desired! The author misspells names, there are words that come out twice, titles of some episodes are not put in quotes or capitalized and the biggest annoyance the second chapter ends like "The continuation of the storyline in the next season would plant the" and that's it, it doesn't continue and it goes on to a page about Fox Mulder and then the 3rd chapter! WTF!

So I'm in a quandary, should I finish it or not, I might be able to over look some of the mistakes but that really takes the cake!

Update: I just counted the pages between where the end of the sentence was and the start of the 3rd chapter and 2 pages are missing, sigh!

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Tue February 24th, 2009, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue February 24th, 2009, 6:50 am

I just called Amazon, I told the person I talked to about the missing pages and even though it was already outside the return date I'm supposed to get a link to print out a return label and I can return the book and get a refund, at least that's what the woman said, so I hope that's true cause this book wasn't cheap and I don't want an exchange if it'll have the same problems!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue February 24th, 2009, 10:56 am

You could always contact the publisher if Amazon won't help. I've done that before when I've had a faulty copy.
It does sound like there was some printing mistake, but also that most of the problems in the book are down to the writing and editing, and getting a new copy won't fix that... It's a shame when a potentially good book is ruined by such things.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed February 25th, 2009, 1:01 am

The copy of The Winthrop Woman I purchased from Amazon had missing pages in the middle. I reported it online to customer service and they emailed me a return shipping label. It was all very easy. This was when The Winthrop Woman was the BOTM and I didn't want to wait for Amazon to send me a new copy, so I bought a copy at a Barnes and Noble store. I also thought it was possible that I would get another bad copy from Amazon and I wanted to physically check the book. I had posted this at that time and someone did say they had the same experience with the missing pages.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “General Discussion”