Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

YA Historical Romance

Forskande
Scribbler

YA Historical Romance

Post by Forskande » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 8:01 pm

I like YA historical fiction that has some kind of romance in it and a happy ending (I'm cliche, I know). Does anyone have any suggestions for me???

I'm new here!

Suzanne Crowley
Scribbler

Post by Suzanne Crowley » Sat April 11th, 2009, 12:51 am

I have a novel coming out in July that is YA historical with LOTS of romance. So much so, that the main character has three love interests to choose from!

rebecca191
Reader

Post by rebecca191 » Sat April 11th, 2009, 2:03 am

[quote=""Suzanne Crowley""]I have a novel coming out in July that is YA historical with LOTS of romance. So much so, that the main character has three love interests to choose from![/quote]

Yes, definitley read Suzanne Crowley's book The Stolen One when it comes out! It's really good.

Anyway I read a lot of young adult historical fiction (favorite genre) and I hope some of these suggestions look enjoyable to you. All of these books have a romance that ends happily but how much of the plot the romance takes up varies:

The Season by Sarah MacLean (Regency England)
La Petite Four by Regina Scott (Regency England)
Just Jane by William Lavendar (American Revolution)
The Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordan (Medieval)
The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose by Mary Hooper (1600s England)
No Shame, No Fear and Forged in the Fire by Ann Turnbull (1600s England)
Silver Rose by Jill Eckersley (English Civil War, this one was published in England so I'm not sure how available it is here)
Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle (Victorian England, has some light fantasy elements)
Unclaimed Heart by Kim Wilkins (sea voyage to somewhere in the Far East if I remember right, late 1700s/early 1800s)
An Earthly Knight by Janet McNaughton (Medieval, light fantasy elements)
Annie Between the States by LM Elliot (Civil War)
Boston Jane trilogy by Jennifer Holm
Waiting for Deliverance by Betsy Urban (late 1700s United States)

Also, if you aren't looking for a lot of historical accuracy but just a historical setting and happy ending, here are ones that are more just teen romances with a historical setting:
To Catch a Pirate by Jade Parker
San Francisco Earthquake 1906, and Louisiana Hurricane 1860, by Kathleen Duey
The Great Chicago Fire, 1871 by Elizabeth Massie
Washington Avalanche, 1910 by Cameron Dokey
Sunfire series (has 32 books, read them a long time ago and don't remember favorites)
Avon True Romance series (my favorites were Tess and the Highlander, Gwyneth and the Thief, and Anna and the Duke)
American Dreams series (my favorites were Sarah on Her Own and Plainsong for Caitlin)
Hearts and Dreams series by Cameron Dokey

If I remember anything else, I'll post again!

SusannaG
Scribbler

Post by SusannaG » Thu June 25th, 2009, 10:06 pm

I was about 12 when my mother gave me Dawn's Early Light, by Elswyth Thane. (It's set during the American Revolution.) I believe her books were written in the 30s to 50s, and not specifically as "YA," but I loved them at that age. Her Williamsburg books are about one family from the American Revolution to World War Two.

I suspect they are out of print now, but you might look in used bookstores.
South Carolina is too large for a mental asylum, and too small for a republic. - James Pettigru, 1856

Cuchulain
Scribbler

Green Bronze Mirror- Time travel to ancient Rome

Post by Cuchulain » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 5:57 pm

Try The Green Bronze Mirror By Lynne Ellison

Karen is playing on the beach when she finds an ancient mirror buried in the sand. She looks into it, and is transported back in time to the Roman empire. Finding herself a slave, she faces many hair-raising adventures in her struggle to return to her own time; meeting early Christians and falling in love with a slave boy.

maggie anton
Scribbler

Post by maggie anton » Mon November 30th, 2009, 8:47 am

[quote=""Forskande""]I like YA historical fiction that has some kind of romance in it and a happy ending (I'm cliche, I know). Does anyone have any suggestions for me???

I'm new here![/quote]
I can't help but blow my own horn by recommending the YA adaption of my adult trilogy, RASHI'S DAUGHTERS: SECRET SCHOLAR. Suggested for ages 9-14, it's set in 11th century France, in the household of the great medieval Jewish scholar. RASHI had no sons, only daughters, who studied the holy texts even though it was forbidden. I guarantee a nice romance and a happy ending [wedding and birth of a son a year later].

Maggie Anton
http://www.rashisdaughters.com

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 9:24 pm

I read the Green Bronze Mirror when I was fourteen - and I was deeply and passionately envious of the author when I found out that she was only fourteen when she wrote it! I wanted to be able to write like that, too!

Marc
Scribbler

Post by Marc » Wed December 9th, 2009, 4:55 am

rebecca191 has given us a great list, I hope this would serve for the entire Christmas holiday.
I am the author of Parmethia

Loveday
Scribbler

Post by Loveday » Fri January 15th, 2010, 5:33 pm

[quote=""SusannaG""]I was about 12 when my mother gave me Dawn's Early Light, by Elswyth Thane. (It's set during the American Revolution.) I believe her books were written in the 30s to 50s, and not specifically as "YA," but I loved them at that age. Her Williamsburg books are about one family from the American Revolution to World War Two.

I suspect they are out of print now, but you might look in used bookstores.[/quote]

Chiming in way late here, but I just wanted to say that the books are still in print, though unless you live in Colonial Williamsburg itself you'll probably have to order them online, or as suggested, hunt for them in used bookshops. If you want to get used copies, be careful not to accidentally pick up the 'Family Bookshelf' editions which came out some years ago--the books are already as G-rated as it gets, but the Family Bookshelf people felt it necessary to remove all mention of alcohol and smoking from the books. Which made certain scenes read rather awkwardly--I mean, honestly, people did drink wine and whiskey in the old days! LOL And they certainly smoked tobacco in Virginia! :rolleyes:

I first read these books when I was around 12 as well, and have re-read them so many times since that I know the families in the stories as well as my own. It helped that I live close to Williamsburg and often would visit and wonder which houses Elswyth Thane might have had in mind for the Days and the Spragues, the two main families in the books. And I blame Thane for my love of all things English, because besides the fact that so much of the action of the Williamsburg novels takes place in England, she also wrote a book called Queen's Folly, about an old priory given to a man as reward for services rendered to Elizabeth I, and its effect on him and his male descendants. It's a little romantic and there's a bit of a ghost story along with it, but it's full of lovely (and as far as I know, fairly accurate) period details. :)

ETA: Er...just realised I'm now repeating myself; I posted much the same thing in my 'introduce yourself' thread. Yet another sign of incipient old age. :o
Last edited by Loveday on Fri January 15th, 2010, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left...er... I buy more books." (Apologies to Erasmus ;) )

SusannaG
Scribbler

Post by SusannaG » Fri January 15th, 2010, 7:14 pm

She gave me Queen's Folly at about that age, as well, and I love it, too.

Charming book.

You might try The Little White Horse, as well, by Elisabeth Goudge. It is set in about 1830 or so, in an English valley near the sea. Filled with old family quarrels, missing jewelry, and unusual family pets.
Last edited by SusannaG on Fri January 15th, 2010, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South Carolina is too large for a mental asylum, and too small for a republic. - James Pettigru, 1856

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”