Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The things you find at Costco....

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu February 19th, 2009, 4:34 pm

[quote=""EC2""]CW and LCW, you feed raw? Good to hear that because so do we with our mongrel mutt, especially that your vet is supportive CW. Our vet's not so keen due to issues of contamination in uncooked meat, but I trust my butcher's sources and the dog's been eating raw for nearly 11 years now and other than natural ageing symptoms is happy and healthy.[/quote]

Yeah, another raw feeder!! When I first started feeding Lila raw my vet wasn't thrilled with it at all but when we moved to So. Cal I found a wonderful vet! The contamination is an issue more for people than dogs. I just treat the meat exactly the same as I would if I were preparing it for people. Just common sense hygene measures!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu February 19th, 2009, 4:36 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I hope you get to keep him, LCW. Have to admit Shar-Pei was the first thing that popped into my mind as well. Next was pit bull.

I can't imagine anyone dumping a puppy. Even though I know it happens. It just doesn't make any sense to me.[/quote]

Thanks, LoveHistory! I hope so too! I'm so attached to him already. And yes, people can be so cruel. It boggles the mind!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu February 19th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Here's couple more pictures. Just look at that face!!!

He has these white spots on his shoulders. They're his angel wings! ;)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Thu February 19th, 2009, 9:35 pm

He's a real cutie. I'm sure you're hoping you can keep him. But how cruel to dump a puppy. :mad:
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Fri February 20th, 2009, 12:02 am

He looks gorgeous. However, I'm sounding a note of caution. I used to have a couple of dogs, but they died a few years ago. Am I behind with the latest thinking, as I was told at the time never to give them raw meat, as it would increase their natural instinct to attack, and if it is a Pit Bull that could be lethal? I'm not sure how things lie legally here in the UK any more, I thought they were banned at one time, but they certainly come under the Dangerous Dogs Law, as there was a spate of attacks on children leading to deaths a few years ago. Hence they are looked upon with suspicion. However, all dogs are dangerous if not reared properly, and you seem to know what you're doing with him. It's very kind of you, and he is so cute. Good luck :) .

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri February 20th, 2009, 1:26 am

[quote=""alice""] Am I behind with the latest thinking, as I was told at the time never to give them raw meat, as it would increase their natural instinct to attack, and if it is a Pit Bull that could be lethal? I'm not sure how things lie legally here in the UK any more, I thought they were banned at one time, but they certainly come under the Dangerous Dogs Law, as there was a spate of attacks on children leading to deaths a few years ago. Hence they are looked upon with suspicion. [/quote]

It is a complete myth that feeding raw will make a dog vicious. There is absolutely no truth to that whatsoever! A dog does not even associate the raw chicken he's eating with a live chicken that may be running around outside. A highly prey driven dog will chase a prey animal even when fed kibble. They are predators, after all!

And I feel like I should clear something up here, yes, some pitbulls do have tendancies to be aggressive towards other dogs and animals (like many breeds, esp. other terriers) but a pit bull that is aggressive towards humans is exceedingly rare!! Of course when it does happen it's splashed all across the headlines but it is in no way a typical trait of this breed, regardless of the misinformation that abounds. Aggression towards other dogs and towards humans are two separate behavioral traits and are not linked whatsoever. And the American Temperament Test Society shows that pit bulls pass their tests at a rate higher than most other breeds, including the Golden Retriever, Cocker Spaniel, and Beagle. The trend to ban pit bulls and other "dangerous" breeds is because of misinformation, myths, and a lack of understanding of the reasons behind dog aggression.

But I do thank you for your kind words about the puppy! He is proving to be a great dog! :)

ETA: I need everyone to come up with some name ideas! I'm thinking "Angel", because of his angel wings, or I really like the name Sancho Panza, from Don Quixote. What do you all think?? Someone came up with Churchill and I love it. It's so dignified! Unfortunately, my fiance was like, "No way", lol!! I need ideas!
Last edited by LCW on Fri February 20th, 2009, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri February 20th, 2009, 1:34 am

There's always "Winston."
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri February 20th, 2009, 1:39 am

Or one of his middle names "Leo" (short for Leonard) or Spencer.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri February 20th, 2009, 1:41 am

I like both Winston and Spencer!! Nice!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri February 20th, 2009, 2:17 am

He's such a cutie! I like both of those names too.

Return to “Chat”