Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

YA: A Nothern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed July 15th, 2009, 11:44 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:The RITA awards (Romance awards) have a category called Best Novel with Strong Romantic Elements and I think that that really fits!

In the UK we have 2 prizes for Romantic fiction. There's the Romantic Novelists Association Major Award. The Tea Rose would fit into this category - mainstream fiction with a romantic element. Former winners include Philippa Gregory for The Other Boleyn Girl (although she now says she doesn't write romantic fiction), Rosamund Pilcher, Jo Jo Moyes. I've been on the shortlist 4 times. Dorothy Dunnett's been shortlisted before, so has Joanne Harris. Then you get the category romance award on which you'll find such authors as Nicola Cornick, Liz Fielding and the general field of Mills & Boon category romance which is almost purely hero and heroine relationship stuff without sidelines.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu July 16th, 2009, 1:24 am

I like that - all romance (or any genre) should not be lumped in one category. Same as with HF - one person's idea of it isn't the same as the next. i.e. Pillars of the Earth or worse yet That-Tudor-Vampire-Book that is being labled as HF.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu July 16th, 2009, 4:58 pm

I enjoyed A Gathering Light. I have heard vague rumours of a sequel. I wouldn't really call it HF in the true sense of the term, in fact it feels as if the events could have happened any time in the last 100 years or so. I'd like to have known a bit more about the background to Grace's death, although there were a few author notes in my copy. I think there was a film based on the case too.

Also waiting for the 3rd in the "Rose" trilogy!
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Thu July 16th, 2009, 6:50 pm

I dunno, I think Donnelly did a good job capturing rural America in the 1900s. She also did a good job with racial and gender inequality.

Grace Brown was from a small farming NY State(Otselic Valley). She took a job in cortland(not too far away) and fell in love with Chester Gillette. She made poor choices, he knocked her up and she went back home where she wrote a bunch of letters begging him to take her back. He fell in love with a rich girl though. He said he would take her back. They went up to Big Moose Lake where he killed her. He hit her I think, but I dont remember with what and she drowned. I dont think she could swimm.

There is a book that has her letters in it. Also An American Tragedy is the book. The Movie is A Place in the Sun(??)

That was probably way too much information. :D :o
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri July 17th, 2009, 2:13 pm

"Divia" wrote:There is a book that has her letters in it. Also An American Tragedy is the book. The Movie is A Place in the Sun(??)

That's the one! :)
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”