Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

YA: A Nothern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed July 15th, 2009, 6:20 pm

"Anna Elliott" wrote:Has anyone read Jennifer Donnelly's The Tea Rose? It caught my eye on the new book shelf of my library, but I haven't tried it yet. She's such a talented writer, though!

I loved it, but it's definitely more towards romance and star-crossed lovers than historical. But I like romance on occasion.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Postby Anna Elliott » Wed July 15th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Oh, thanks, that's very interesting--not at all what I would have expected from reading the jacket cover!
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)
[/COLOR]
User signature picture

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed July 15th, 2009, 7:27 pm

"Misfit" wrote:I loved it, but it's definitely more towards romance and star-crossed lovers than historical. But I like romance on occasion.

Did you think so Misfit? I found it very much akin to some of our meatier UK sagas - written for the romance industry but not the category romance industry. I'd call it a romantic historical in the style of Barbara Taylord Bradford's Woman of Substance - i.e. if you liked that, then you should enjoy The Tea Rose. I think I gave it 4 stars when I read it. One of those curl up with the characters and lose yourself type of books.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed July 15th, 2009, 8:08 pm

"EC2" wrote:Did you think so Misfit? I found it very much akin to some of our meatier UK sagas - written for the romance industry but not the category romance industry. I'd call it a romantic historical in the style of Barbara Taylord Bradford's Woman of Substance - i.e. if you liked that, then you should enjoy The Tea Rose. I think I gave it 4 stars when I read it. One of those curl up with the characters and lose yourself type of books.

I put The Tea Rose in my genre bending category - too much romance for some historical readers and too much history for some romance readers (no offense intended by this remark**) - and when I'm looking for a romance that's the kind of book I reach for.

**Lol, I had joined a historical romance group at Goodreads and when someone asked for new book ideas I suggested some from my Amazon List Books too good to be classified as straight romance and I got a couple of snarky comments about "straight romance" like I was putting them down. How many romance readers have you seen complain about Gellis because she's got so much history they're bored to death. I promptly unjoined that group.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed July 15th, 2009, 8:18 pm

"Misfit" wrote:I put The Tea Rose in my genre bending category - too much romance for some historical readers and too much history for some romance readers (no offense intended by this remark**) - and when I'm looking for a romance that's the kind of book I reach for.

**Lol, I had joined a historical romance group at Goodreads and when someone asked for new book ideas I suggested some from my Amazon List Books too good to be classified as straight romance and I got a couple of snarky comments about "straight romance" like I was putting them down. How many romance readers have you seen complain about Gellis because she's got so much history they're bored to death. I promptly unjoined that group.

Oh it's such a poisoned chalice isn't it because everyone's definitions are so different. Some of my best writer friends are romance writers and I do know how difficult it is to walk the line re making any sort of comment and not get shot off it by someone!
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed July 15th, 2009, 9:33 pm

I would agree that The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose are more sagas than straight romance! There is a review of The Tea Rose here
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Wed July 15th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Saga romance? ;)

Its interesting that I loved A Northern light but despised Tea Rose. As I said before I'll be glad when she's done with the saga so she can move onto something I might actually enjoy. :p
Last edited by Divia on Wed July 15th, 2009, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed July 15th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Whereas I will be sorry to see it end, and will be hoping that she writes more! :p ;)

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed July 15th, 2009, 11:17 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:I would agree that The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose are more sagas than straight romance! There is a review of The Tea Rose here

I actually agree, but I know there are some who wouldn't see it that way, which is why I like to point out the romance aspect. Just like with some of EC's earlier books, most of us love them just as much as the later ones but there is more of a romance "feel" (for lack of a better word) and don't appeal as much to all her fans. Mind you I'm only picking on EC 'cause she knows I love all her books ;) :)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed July 15th, 2009, 11:33 pm

The RITA awards (Romance awards) have a category called Best Novel with Strong Romantic Elements and I think that that really fits!

Edith Wharton

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”