Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Winter Sea Susanna Kearsley

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu February 19th, 2009, 12:38 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]I'm glad to hear Kearstley's books are somewhat like Mary Stewart's books; I love hers.[/quote]

I've been wanting to try some of hers (outside of the Arthur books) and you got me interested when you reviewed Nine Coaches Waiting (I think that's what it's called).

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Thu February 19th, 2009, 3:45 pm

I've only read Mary Stewart's Arthurian books, so am not familiar with her other style. But I love the sound of The Winter Sea, esp. living up here in Scotland. I adore the (various) landscapes, and the whole Jacobite thing is embedded in everyone's psyche - hard to escape! (not that I'd want to, it is fascinating) Plus I like playing around a bit with writing ideas of genetic memory and reincarnation, though not timeslips like Barbara Erskine. So thanks, Misfit, for mentioning this.
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu February 19th, 2009, 4:21 pm

Thanks for the tip on Kearsley. Sounds like someone I would like if she's compared to Mary Stewart (and here I was thinking they don't publish or write these kinds of novels anymore). For those of you who haven't read Stewart's Romantic Suspense novels, they truly are gems and a cut above what you'd find in that genre normally. I read them all when I was young and they are some of my favorite comfort reads to go back to.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu February 19th, 2009, 4:35 pm

She is very 'Stewartesque'. I've read The Shadowy Horses and Marianna. I wouldn't call them edge of the seat reads, and I still prefer Stewart, but they are enjoyable and the sort of books you can pass on to relatives and youngsters without worrying too much about the content.
I would also reccomend in this vein, Michelle Paver's A Place In the Hills. I thought it was spellbinding. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Place-Hills-Mic ... 0552147532
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu February 19th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Speaking of "Stewartesque," has anyone ever read anything by Victoria Holt (also known as Jean Plaidy, among other names)? Her Mistress of Mellyn is very, very good, and also along the whole Gothic thread.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri February 20th, 2009, 10:27 am

Yes, Victoria Holt was a favourite author of mine as a teenager. I have a few of her books on my TBR pile now, some of which were republished a couple of years ago with lovely new covers.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 31st, 2009, 8:18 pm

Just goes to show, don't ever be afraid to put in a purchase request for a book you want with the library. I just checked my holds list and the county has ordered several copies. Might take a while, but I've got plenty to keep me going until then.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun June 28th, 2009, 11:20 am

I just read this book and completely loved it! I will have a review up shortly for it, but in the mean time I highly recommend it!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun June 28th, 2009, 11:58 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]I just read this book and completely loved it! I will have a review up shortly for it, but in the mean time I highly recommend it![/quote]

It was on the shortlist for the UK's best romantic novel of the year award. Didn't win - was beaten by East of the Sun, but it seems to have been very popular.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun June 28th, 2009, 12:09 pm

I really, really liked East of the Sun, but if I had to pick between the two of them I would probably choose this one!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “By Author”