Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Winter Sea Susanna Kearsley

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

The Winter Sea Susanna Kearsley

Post by Misfit » Tue February 17th, 2009, 9:18 pm

I recall Leyland mentioning this book on the old board and I've watched it on Amazon and it's always unavailable. Well, I happened on to .ca today and look what I found, it's coming out brand new in April (can't find it in the US though.

I also noticed in the blurb that its available in the UK with the name Sophia's Secret. I tried that ISBN # at the Book Depository and they are selling it as well.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue February 17th, 2009, 9:27 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I recall Leyland mentioning this book on the old board and I've watched it on Amazon and it's always unavailable. Well, I happened on to .ca today and look what I found, it's coming out brand new in April (can't find it in the US though.

I also noticed in the blurb that its available in the UK with the name Sophia's Secret. I tried that ISBN # at the Book Depository and they are selling it as well.[/quote]

It was shortlisted for the Best Romantic Novel of the Year Award in the UK. It's one I'd like to read when I get time. Susannah Kearsley always reminds me a little of Mary Stewart.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue February 17th, 2009, 10:09 pm

That's weird, I wonder if it was out of print in Canada for a time. I met Susanna Kearsley at BookExpo Canada last June and got a copy there; she told me she wished it had a US publisher.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Tue February 17th, 2009, 10:35 pm

This is same Canadian paperback I bought through Amazon last year. Kearsley is one of my favorite writers, not just because she does have a similar Mary Stewart style, but also because she skillfully weaves historical and light supernatural elements into her contemporary set stories. Named of the Dragon and The Shadowy Horses are my two favorites for this style. Then I read Mariana - brilliant!

I found a reasonably priced copy of the The Splendour Falls last year as well. So with having Season of Storms as well, I've got a little Kearsley collection going on now.

I recommend any of the above novels to Mary Stewart and Barbara Erskine fans.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 18th, 2009, 12:15 am

I might have to get a copy and try it. I know I got one of her books out from the lib once and DNF, but then book two in Dumas' French Revolution series just showed up and I got a bit side tracked.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed February 18th, 2009, 10:08 am

I had this book out from the library a while ago but ended up having to take it back without even starting it. I have rerequested it so hopefully it will come through in the next couple of days!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Moor" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed February 18th, 2009, 11:28 am

[quote=""Leyland""]This is same Canadian paperback I bought through Amazon last year. Kearsley is one of my favorite writers, not just because she does have a similar Mary Stewart style, but also because she skillfully weaves historical and light supernatural elements into her contemporary set stories. Named of the Dragon and The Shadowy Horses are my two favorites for this style. Then I read Mariana - brilliant!

I found a reasonably priced copy of the The Splendour Falls last year as well. So with having Season of Storms as well, I've got a little Kearsley collection going on now.

I recommend any of the above novels to Mary Stewart and Barbara Erskine fans.[/quote]

Yes, Sophia's Secret (I think I prefer the old title, The Winter Sea but never mind :o ) came out quite recently. I have Season of Storms on my tbr pile, and possible another one of her's too but I can't remember which one. I'm also a huge BE fan and have just got her latest pb, "The Warrior's Princess".

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed February 18th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I have this on my TBR pile, too. My copy has the old title 'The Winter Sea', which I prefer.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 18th, 2009, 7:22 pm

I didn't place Susanna Kearsley until I saw Leyland's metion of Mariana, which I read years ago and still have on my bookshelves- I enjoyed that one very much - a seventeenth century time-slip.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed February 18th, 2009, 9:08 pm

I added this book to my TBR a few months ago, but there was very little information avaiable on it. I'm glad to hear Kearstley's books are somewhat like Mary Stewart's books; I love hers.

Return to “By Author”