Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"The Victorians"

Christina
Reader

"The Victorians"

Post by Christina » Mon February 16th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Did anyone else see the wonderful new Jeremy Paxman series on BBC2 on Sunday? He - who, to the surprise of most people, I think is gorgeous! ;) - presents a fascinating programme following the Victorians through the art of the time. This week's episode was about cities and how the Victorians shaped the country we know today by firstly being afraid of the whole idea of this new industrial cities and gradually transforming them with civic pride. The paintings capturing the era are described and shown perfectly - how those depicting the poor were often given a make over so they could be sold to wealthy customers, who didn't like to see the stark reality of poverty.

It's a really absorbing programme!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue February 17th, 2009, 10:41 am

I downloaded it this morning. I will probably watch the whole series when it's done. Glad to know it's good.

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Tue February 17th, 2009, 11:04 am

[quote=""Christina""]Did anyone else see the wonderful new Jeremy Paxman series on BBC2 on Sunday? He - who, to the surprise of most people, I think is gorgeous! ;) - presents a fascinating programme following the Victorians through the art of the time. This week's episode was about cities and how the Victorians shaped the country we know today by firstly being afraid of the whole idea of this new industrial cities and gradually transforming them with civic pride. The paintings capturing the era are described and shown perfectly - how those depicting the poor were often given a make over so they could be sold to wealthy customers, who didn't like to see the stark reality of poverty.

It's a really absorbing programme![/quote]

I will try to catch this on iplayer, as I meant to watch it. And you're not alone, I have a friend who also thinks he's gorgeous! I just want to give him a slap :D . He's so rude. It's a shame, as I think I could probably like him, you know, on the same wavelength sort of thing, as regards programmes like that. He's so combative though, and it's not just in hard-hitting interviews, (which there may be a need for sometimes), but I saw him on a light tv programme, and he was just so sneering and arrogant. I didn't see the need for it.

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Wed February 18th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Oh, Alice, but he's gorgeous - LOL!!! He's not aggressive to people who can't cope with it. Did you see him on "Newsnight" in the Birmingham car factory? When people were expressing their views about losing their jobs, he was so gentle and sympathetic. His arrogance is about seeing through the nonsense we're usually dealt and I think he is just the best!!!

My sister, one day, while crossing London Bridge, caught sight of him passing and she said to her husband, "Isn't that....?" at which point, Jeremy smiled kindly - oh, be still my beating heart!! LOL

(I am joking!!). That programme, really, is fabulous. Never would I have thought that the London sewers could create such a sense of wonder! Nor would I have so thoroughly appreciated the Town Hall in my own city (north of England). It's really a great programme and I hope other people see it and enjoy it, too.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”