Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Guernica, by Dave Boling

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon February 16th, 2009, 6:30 pm

This sounds really interesting & I loved Winter In Madrid, so straight onto the TBR list. :D

LoisAnn
Reader

Post by LoisAnn » Tue February 17th, 2009, 2:30 am

JM & Leo ... Thanks for the tip about Madrid in Spain ... it's on order! :D

For those who have enjoyed this locale & time period in the past, have you read Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon? One of my favorite all time books!
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. ~ Charles de Secondat

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Tue February 17th, 2009, 5:17 am

I have that one, but haven't read it yet, LoisAnn. But I've read many reviews comparing Winter in Madrid to Shadow of the Wind, so there you go. Looks like it might be a good read for you!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue February 17th, 2009, 8:52 am

Lois Ann, I love Shadow of the Wind as well! Can't wait for the new book that is coming out from Carlos Ruiz Zafon soon!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue February 17th, 2009, 1:35 pm

[quote=""JMJacobsen""]I have that one, but haven't read it yet, LoisAnn. But I've read many reviews comparing Winter in Madrid to Shadow of the Wind, so there you go. Looks like it might be a good read for you![/quote]

I've read both. Same time period and setting, but quite different books. Winter in Madrid is a political thriller-cum-love-story, whereas Shadow of the Wind is very gothic - kinda in the vein of movies like Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage.

Both good, both worth reading - though personally I preferred Madrid. :D

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Tue February 17th, 2009, 6:29 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]I've read both. Same time period and setting, but quite different books. Winter in Madrid is a political thriller-cum-love-story, whereas Shadow of the Wind is very gothic - kinda in the vein of movies like Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage.

Both good, both worth reading - though personally I preferred Madrid. :D [/quote]

Good to know. I'll get to Shadow of the Wind by summer.

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”